Thursday, January 01, 2009

Challenge with Mariel

Mariel from Where Troubls Melt Like Lemon Drops came over last night to celebrate New Year's Eve (she is my best friend). We stayed in and chatted about books and notebooks which was a lovely way to spend our evening. We always have so many recommendations for each other that we decided to mimic my challenge with Nymeth from Things Mean a Lot and pick 5 books for each other to read in 2009.

The list for me to read is:

1. The Gift - Alison Croggon
2. Lamb - Christopher Moore
3. The Hours - Michael Cunningham
4. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
5. Cry of the Icemark - Stuart Hill

I am looking forward to all of them and The Secret History is one I don't have and don't really know much about. If I don't have a copy by September I am sure she will buy it for me for my birthday. We always get each other books for Christmas and if this challenge goes well we can buy each other the books we don't have from our lists next year if that makes sense. I am sure she will post her list of choices soon (which may overlap a little with what I picked for Nymeth this year and last year, but hey they are books I love).

7 comments:

Chris said...

Oooh, Lamb is one that I've had my eye on for awhile! Hope you enjoy it...you may just push me over the edge and make me get it :p

Kailana said...

I love Michael Cunningham. I really need to read something by him. I don't think I have ever disliked a book by him.

mariel said...

Ooh, you need to start reading these now. Right now! And everyone should read Lamb...hilarious! Enjoy lass.

Alice Teh said...

Happy reading!

I've read A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham and I enjoyed it. It's listed as one of my favourite fiction for 2008.

Nymeth said...

I'm so glad you'll be reading The Hours! It's one of my all-time favourite books. Mariel has great taste :P I haven't read any of the others, but The Secret History is on my tbr pile and I hope to get to it this year.

If I did the challenge with anyone else I'd pick many of the same books I picked for you too. Can't change what we love :P

Melody said...

The challenge sounds fun! I'm looking forward to reading your reviews on them soon.

Susan said...

What a lovely way to spend your New Year's Eve! Picking out books to read! I do confess that I disliked The Hours (sorry, Nymeth!) but then I'm not a Virginia Woolf fan even though I keep hoping for a breakthrough. I keep meaning to read The Secret History, but it never makes it onto my TBR pile! I look forward to reading your reviews.