Monday, December 01, 2008

Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 514
Reason for Reading : What's in a Name Challenge

Jack St Bride is accused of raping on of his students at the boarding school he teaches at. He enters into a plea bargain, despite maintaining he didn't do it, which reduces his sentence to 8 months in jail for sexual assualt rather than rape. He lasts the 8 months and leaves jail with no place to go and no on eto turn to. He ends up in sleepy Salem Falls which has a statue to Giles Corey, the only person to have been killed during the Salem witch trials. There he begins to work in a diner in the kitchen washing up despite being a PhD.

The longer he spends there, the more he starts to fall for diner owner Addie Peabody. As they draw closer to each other, other events are set in motion that will leave them both reeling. A girl in the town has a crush on Jack and it is only a matter of time before he lands himself in hot water. The town locals are on to him as he has to sign the sex offenders register as part of his priginal plea bargain and teenage Gillian Duncan is not someone you want to get on the wrong side of.

It's a twist on The Crucible with the witches pointing the fingers this time. Gillian and her three best friends practise Wicca and Gilly doesn't see why she can't use it to get what she wants and who she wants. This time Jack is the one defending his innocence, and being convicted of a similar crime already does not make him look good...

This is the third Picoult novel I have read and so far it has been my favourite. I stayed up until 1:30am just to finish it last night, it was such a page turner. I had some issues with the way the wiccans were portrayed, especially the hippy type who owned the Wiccan Read shop. Overall though it was a gripping story where you begin believing Jack and later question him as the story progresses. I was rooting for him although I wasn't sure how the jury would find at the end. The ending for Gilly was sadly much more obvious. Also it was interesting that the lawyer from The Pact Jordan McAfee turned up representing Jack. Defintely recommended.

5 comments:

Alice Teh said...

I kept putting off buying this book and looks like it's time to get it. Thanks for the review!

Melody said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Rhinoa! I think I've this book in my pile... will have to dig into it. ;)

Trish said...

I think Jordan McAfee is in another of Picoult's books that I read (I've forgotten about The Pact since I read it so long ago). I liked this one as well, but not my favorite. Glad you liked it!

bermudaonion said...

I've read several of Picoult's books and enjoyed all of them. I haven't read this one, though, and your review makes me want to. My wish list keeps getting longer.

samantha.1020 said...

I've read this one and enjoyed it as well. I liked that we saw more of Jordan and his son. My Sister's Keeper is still my favorite by this author though :)