Saturday, December 13, 2008


Rating : 3.0/5
Number of Pages : 166
Reason for Reading : Library Book Discussion Group

By the author of Atonement and Amsterdam whcih won the Booker Prize, this story follows Edward and Florance on their wedding night. Set in the summer of 1962, both have saved their virginity for this night so the pressure is on. Florance has a fear of sex whereas it is all Edward can think about. Florance assumes Edward has more experience than her and communication is lacking as the tension mounts.

The story alternates between the present and their pasts. We meet them as individuals and learn how they met and what drew them to the other. We see their private thoughts and worries, and we see a couple truely in love. Sadly things do not run smoothly with Edward's worst fear being realised in their awkardness...

I really enjoyed this short novel. My one criticism was that it should have ended in the present and not continued with the future and how things turned out for them in later life. It would have been so much more memorable ending on the night of the wedding knowing how they felt about each other and the outcome of the evening.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for my lack of presence this week. I came down with the flu last Friday evening and have only just started to feel human again. I haven't been able to use the computer as it made me dizzy or concentrate at all. The worst has been the broedom. I haven't been able to read or even watch a film as my head has been so fuzzy. It's been torture. I am getting there and have finally been able to come online and write this post before returning the library book tomorrow and leaving the house for the first time since I got home on Friday.

14 comments:

Kim L said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Kailana said...

Yuck! The flu! Hope you feel better soon! My guy had a really bad cold which I thankfully avoided getting, but all that stuff is going around! Best thing about this time of the year, NOT! haha

I didn't like this book at all. Frankly, I don't think I like McEwan's writing style. I liked Atonement and didn't at the same time, while everything else I have tried to read I have just ended up hating... Just one of those authors, I guess.

Marg said...

Hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than feeling horrible.

I didn't really love this book either! My (kind of) review is here

Ladytink_534 said...

I read Atonement not too long after it was published. I though it was well-written but a little depressing- which is why I still haven't seen the movie. Not too sure if I'll ever pick up another one of his books.

Glad you're feeling better!

tanabata said...

Yuck! Sounds awful! Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

Nymeth said...

Argh, the flu sounds awful. I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

About the book, it's too bad about the ending, but it sounds worth reading all the same.

Alice Teh said...

Sorry to hear about the flu, Rhinoa... I hope you'll recover very soon. I miss you!

I have Atonement in my TBR but not any of his other books.

Melody said...

Hope you're getting better, Rhinoa!
Stay warm!!

mariel said...

Hope you are feeling better hun and the trip to work hasn't exhausted you. Speak later.

p.s. great review, thanks!

jehara said...

glad you are starting to feel better. :)

Darla D said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now, and I hope you're back on your feet soon! That does indeed sound like torture. So sorry to hear it!

samantha.1020 said...

I hope you are feeling better as the flu is the worst! Interesting review :)

Robin said...

So sorry you've been sick. I'm glad you're beginning to feel better!

Kailana said...

Howdy! You have a Christmas Spirit Award waiting for you at my blog...