Wednesday, December 31, 2008


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 416
Series : #1 Rachel Morgan
Reason for Reading : First in a Series Challenge

The first in the Rachel Morgan urban fantasy series by Kim Harrison is a great introduction to the characters and world she has created. Rachel is a witch and works for the Inderland Runner Services apprehanding magical criminals in Cincinnati. Her list of tags has been steadily getting worse and the final straw comes when her boss sends her after a lowly leprechauns. She wants to quit, but doing so will put a contract out for her death.

She takes the risk anyway and unwittingly takes living vampire Ivy with her as well as pixy Jenks. Both have many uses she wasn't expecting and help her to evade werefox assigns and evil fairies. The main problem is Ivy. She is a "non-practising" vampire but is still really really scary. Especially when she starts coming on to the very straight Rachel who is unwittingly sending her sexy signals. Ivy loans Rachel a book on how to seduce vampires and she quickly changes to doing the exact opposite of everything it says!

As well as her old employers trying to kill her, Rachel also has to contend with businessman Trent Kalamack. He is suspected of being a drug dealer and murderer, but what Rachel uncovers on him puts him as way more than that. The annoying thing about him is no one knows if he is human, vampire, witch, were or something else altogether. If Rachel can dig up enough evidence and survive her tag, she might be able to bring him in and pay the price off her head...

I really enjoyed this start to the series and hope the rest lives up to the high standard it has set. Rachel is agreat main character. Feisty but not in an annoying way like some other urban fantasy heroines. I also really liked Jenks the pixy and his family who save the day countless times despite being only four inches tall. I can't wait to find out more about Ivy and her past as well as her reasons for helping Rachel. I am also interested to see where Rachel's love life goes from there. I will definitely be reading more in the series in 2009.

8 comments:

Jaxon said...

Wait, you're just now getting to Kim Harrison!? OMG you've been missing out. This series only gets better and better.

Happy Reading!

Literary Feline said...

I had hoped to read this one this year, but it didn't work out. I will definitely get to it this next year. I'm determined. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the great review!

Ladytink_534 said...

I really love this series a lot. Glad you're reading it!

valentina said...

sounds awesome! I really need to read more urban fantasy, there should be a challenge for that:)

Melody said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've this series sitting in my pile for ages and I'm hoping to read them in the coming year!

Nymeth said...

This really sounds great. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Susan said...

Gah! I keep meaning to read this! I've just put it on my wishlist. So far I've added 4 books from your latest posts (working back from Jan 7).....my husband can't see this, he forbade me to buy any more books until later because of all I bought while in England1 But I didn't get this one.....

Darla D said...

Oh, I'm glad you liked this first one. It's one of my "instant must read" series now, although I've only been reading it for the past year or so. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the next ones. A whole lot is going to happen! :-)