Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hosted here, the aim was to read 12 books from your TBR (to be read) pile in 2008. I set 12 with a list of 12 alternatives and I read a selection from each list totaling 16 books from my combined list in total. If it says DNR it means did not read next to it and I will hopefully get to it in 2009.

1. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke
2. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory : DNR
3. The Divine Comedy - Danta Alighirei
4. Lucinda Darkly - Sunny
5. Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
6. Hood - Stephen Lawhead
7. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak : DNR
8. Middlemarch - George Elliot : DNR
9. Lamb - Christopher Moore : DNR
10. Things Fall Apart - China Achebe
11. The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood : DNR
12. The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter : DNR

Alternatives:
1. Storm Front - Jim Butcher
2. Death Note v1 - Takeshi Obata
3. The Invisable Ring - Anne Bishop
4. Madam Bovay - Gustave Flaubert
5. Minion - LA Banks
6. The Trial - Franz Kafka
7. The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan
8. Sons and Lovers - DH Lawrence : DNR
9. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway
10. The Book of Lost Things - John Conolly : DNR
11. Midnights Children - Salman Rushdie
12. Touch the Dark - Karen Chance

I loved Lucinda Darkly, Storm Front, Death Note, The Invisible Ring and Midnight's Children the most. My least favourite was easily The Divine COmedy and I wasn't a big fan of Madam Bovary either.

Hosted by Joy here, it ran between 1/1/08 - 31/12/08. The aim was to pick twelve books that are the first in a series to read throughout the year. As I do a lot of series reading I was really looking forward to getting started on this.

1. Storm Front - Jim Butcher
2. Death Note v1 - Takeshi Obata
3. The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan
4. Touch the Dark - Karen Chance
5. Hood - Stephen Lawhead
6. The Sandman v1 - Neil Gaiman
7. Minion - LA Banks
8. The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor
9. The Wee Free Man - Terry Pratchett
10. Goddess of the Night - Lynne Ewing
11. Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison
12. Dark Prince - Christine Feehan



I really enjoyed every series I started and have continued (and finished) some of them already (Death Note, The Black Magician Trilogy Trudi Canavan, The Sandman, Frank Beddor and Terry Pratchett). I hope to continue with them all in 2009.
Hosted here there were a number of options to this challenge. I chose to read 10 short story collections throughout 2008.

1. Black Heart, Ivory Bones - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
2. Black Thorn, White Rose - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
3. Snow White, Blood Red - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
4. Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
5. Black Swan, White Raven - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
6. Silver Birch, Blood Moon - Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
7. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke
8. Bite - Laurell K Hamilton
9. The Ribbajack and Other Curious Yarns - Brian Jacques
10. Dates from Hell - Kelley Armstrong





I substituted the Brian Jacques collection for Angela Carter as I just didn't have time at the end of the year sadly to read both. I loved all the collections, especially the Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling adult fairy tale series. Bite introduced me to Angela Knight who I will definitely be reading more of in the future, she writes some seriously sexy stuff!

5 comments:

Melody said...

Wow! You read a lot of books, Rhinoa!

Nymeth said...

Congratulations on finishing all those challenges! And I can't believe you still haven't read The Book of Lost Things. You should make it your first read of 2009 :P

Alice Teh said...

Congratulations on finishing all the challenges! WOOHOO!

I'm reading The Book of Lost Things for my 999 Challenge...

Literary Feline said...

Congratulations on completing these two challenges, Rhinoa. The TBR and Short Story Challenges were two of the three I failed miserably at. Next year I'll do better.

I had fun with the 1st in a Series Challenge even though I went completely off list. You read quite a few good ones!

Joy said...

Hooray! Congratulations! It's great that you have already continued some of the series. I hope to get to more of mine this year. Happy New Year!