Sunday, November 02, 2008

tl;dr Challenge Wrap Up


Hosted by Renay, Bottle of Shine here. The idea of the Herding Cats or tl;dr Challenge was to put forward 10 books you like and then pick 3 to read from other challenge participants between 1/5/08 - 30/11/08. The three I picked to read were:

1. Beauty - Robin McKinley (Book Nut)
2. Stardust - Neil Gaiman (Becky)
3. Tamsin - Peter S Beagle (prplpen)

The list I had put forward for others to choose from was:

1. Waifs and Strays - Charles de Lint (a wonderful collection of his short stories that are a great introduction to his work)
2. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby (my favourite of all of his books, a must for book and music lovers)
3. The Black Jewels Trilogy - Anne Bishop (dark fantasy at it's best, somehow particularly suited to female readers I think)
4. Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice (where The Vampire Chronicles all began)
5. The Magicians Nephew - CS Lewis (the first in the Narnia series and often sadly neglected. Perhaps my favourite in the series)
6. The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor (a wonderful re-telling of Alice in Wonderland which turns the whole tale on it's head. Found in the teenage reading/young adult section but will appeal to older readers too)
7. The Goose Girl - Shannon Hale (a fairy tale re-telling I just finished reading and fell in love with. Highly recommended)
8. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (classic tale of man loves young girl, disturbing but one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read)
9. Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier (the first in the Sevenwaters Trilogy based on a fairy tale set in Celtic times)
10. The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood (everyone should read this dystopian novel)

Of the three books I read I loved them all and it is impossible to pick a favourite. Robin McKinley was the only new author to me and I will definitely be reading more of her books in the future.

1 comments:

Nymeth said...

I LOVE the three books you read (and also most of the ones on your list of ten).