Sunday, November 16, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 579
Series : #2 Bartimaeus
Reason for Reading : Mythopoeic Challenge

Nathaniel is back after the first in the series, The Amulet of Samarkand. He has been promoted to being part of the ministry of internal affairs and has been put in charge of capturing and destroying the Resistance. He has n't been doing so well in his assignment, especially when a mysterious entity turns up and destroys much of Piccadilly and the British Museum. Nathaniel turns to his final ally, djinni Bartimaeus.

Bartimaeus is back as witty and argumentative as usual. The chapters alternate between the two and Kitty who is part of the Resistance (we are introduced to her in the first book briefly). We learn Kitty's back story and why she is fighting the magician's. We also meet others of the Resistance and learn of their plans and motivations. It is interesting that they are not so different from the magicians they are fighting.

After the first one hundred pages, it got much more fun and interesting. Nathaniel is a rubbish character, but Kitty and Bartimaeus are great. Lots of twists and turns along the way, I am definitely looking forward to reading the final installment, but I think I worked out early on in this novel who the master villian is (I am happy to be proved wrong). One final thing I enjoy about this series is that they are not fluffy and filled with happily ever afters. There are always some casulties along the way which makes the fantasy more real somehow.

Other Reviews:

4 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I actually checked the first book in the series out but never got around to reading it before it was due back :(

DesLily said...

I loved this entire series! It will be a trilogy I will reread one day, that's how much I enjoyed them!
I wish he would make another series using Bartimaeus.. he was such a great character!

Nymeth said...

Glad to hear that this second book was better!

Darla D said...

I love your description of Nathaniel - "a rubbish character"! I was totally in it for Kitty, and I loved that she was in the third book so much. Glad you enjoyed this!