Saturday, November 08, 2008


Rating : 2.0/5
Number of Pages : 261
Reason for Reading : Library Book Discussion Group, Book Awards Challenge II

The 2007 winner of the Man Booker Prize. The story is mostly set in Ireland (Dublin) with some of the tale in Brighton and South England. Veronica Hegary is one of the nine surviving children in her family and at the start of the novel her brother Liam has just died. She dwells on the past, their life growing up and what it was like for her grandparents. It is only about half way through we learn how Liam died and the circumstances surrounding his death.

Veronica does not really love her husband any more although she cares deeply for their two daughters. She suspects he is having an affair as they are no longer sleeping together. She Spends time rewritting the past and imaging the life her grandmother Ada had with her husband Charlie and his friend Lamb Nuggent. Slowly she remembers the past and what really happened. The events she remembers help piece together the truth behind Liam's death.

I didn't really enjoy this novel. It was just too bleak and I don't think I was really in the mood to read it. The ending was slightly more uplifting with some light at the end of the tunnel which helped a little. It was well written, I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.

7 comments:

margotreehugger said...

Thanks for the review Katie. I'm not sure I would like this one either?

Ladytink_534 said...

It does sound a little bleak! Didn't this win the Booker award?

Nymeth said...

It definitely sounds bleak. Booker winners can go both ways for me...some I really enjoy, others I can't get into at all.

Kailana said...

Hey Rhinoa,

You should do the Advent Calendar this year. Head over to my blog and sign up! :)

haha

Literary Feline said...

I have this one on my shelf to read. I gave a copy to my mother-in-law this past spring and she really liked it. I admit that I am often drawn to bleak and so this is probably right up my alley.

Kim L said...

yeah, I have to be in the right mood for bleak.

Susan said...

Another blogger - not me, I've been catching up today on sites so I can't remember who now - also reviewed this one and she liked it a bit more than you, but still found it dark and depressing also. I will eventually give it a try, but I will have to be in the mood!