Saturday, November 01, 2008

Rating : 1.0/5
Number of Pages : 741
Reason for Reading : Classic's Challenge, Guardian 100 Greatest Books of All Time, TBR 2008 Challenge

Often described as the greatest poem of the European Middle Ages. Dante travels through the seven levels of hell (Inferno), seven cornices of purgatory (Purgatoria) and finally finds himself in heaven (Paradiso). His guide is the poet Virgil who takes him through the lover levels and then Beatrice higher up. They see much suffering in hell of the promiscuous, gluttonous and the violent etc including Judas (the devils chew toy) and Mohamed (the false prophet).

I am sorry to say I really did not enjoy this poem at all. It was a real struggle to finish it and became my own moutain of hell. I can bearly remember any of it and had to keep re-reading passages as I couldn't remember them at all. I may pinch my husbands illustrated copy that has chapter summaries at some point, but am not particularly motivated at the moment.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

I admire your persistence! I probably would have given up.

Andi said...

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one. I've only read the Inferno portion, but I loved it. I've always heard Purgatorio and Paradiso are pretty boring, so that's why I haven't tackled those.

Amanda said...

You are a brave brave woman. I've read bits and pieces here and there in classes but haven't been brave enough to read the whole thing.