Friday, October 17, 2008


Hosted by Joy at Thoughts of Joy this challenge runs between 1/1/08 - 31/12/08. The aim is to read 12 Young Adult books during 2008. I finished my list a week or two ago which was :

1. The Goose Girl - Shannon Hale
2. The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor
3. Coraline - Neil Gaiman
4. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer
5. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry
6. The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett
7. The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud
8. Goddess of the Night - Lynne Ewing
9. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
10. Peter Pan in Scarlet - Geraldine McCaughrean
11. The Worst Witch Saves the Day - Jill Murphy
12. The Black Tattoo - Sam Enthoven

It is really difficult to pick a favourite as I loved pretty much all of them! The Goose Girl was wonderful as was The Looking Glass Wars and were both great re-tellings of famous fairy tales. Coraline was creepy and spooky in all the right ways and The Wee Free Men sees Pratchett at his best. I love Young Adult and have many more outside of this challenge and will continue to do so. Thanks for hosting Joy!

4 comments:

the_never_fairy said...

But "Peter Pan in Scarlet" has MANY contradictions from Barrie's original stories. Pretty sad, when the "official" sequel has mistakes!

I recommend the new Peter Pan novel that's faithful to Barrie AND based on his idea for more!
Check it out:
http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/
BELIEVE!

the_never_fairy said...

sorry...!! i realized afterward that I'd been to this site before!
My sincere apologies.
But I just don't get how anyone can like a book that go against the original author's work.

sorry again!

Nymeth said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! I completely agree with you about Coraline and The Wee Free Men and The Goose Girl. There are lots of books in there I'm really looking forward to reading, like Peter Pan in Scarlet or The Looking Glass Wars.

Trish said...

Yay for finishing! I JUST picked up Coraline for the read-a-thon tomorrow and am really excited to read it. :)