Thursday, October 02, 2008

Tamsin - Peter S Beagle

Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 235
Reason for Reading : tl;dr Challenge, RIP III Challenge

Jenny Gluckstein lives in New York with her mother and Mister Cat. She is happy hanging out with her friends and loves the bustle and noise of the city. When her mother gets engaged to an Englishman and tells her they are moving to London her whole world is turned upside down. At least London is another city though and Mister Cat should only be in quarenteen for a month.

Their plans change. Evan gets offered a great job in Dorset, the middle of knowehere as far as Jenny is concerned. To make matters worse Mister Cat has to be kept for six months not one so Jenny is all alone in a foreign country with no friends, a new step father and two new step brothers. She makes two new friends. One is a girl from school, Meena, and the other is a ghost named Tamsin and her ghost cat Miss Sophia Brown. Tamsin's is a sad tale and Jenny must help her piece all the pieces together to help Tamsin remember who she was when she was alive.

Along the way Jenny learns about the myths and folk tales of Dorset including about boggarts, the billy blind the pooka and the Wild Hunt. They are threatened by the Oakmen and the Other One who is linked to Tamsin'spast but who she won't talk about. They also search for what happened to Tamsin's lost love, Edric Davies.

The Last Unicorn is one of my favourite books and films so I was excited about reading something else by Peter S beagle, although also a little worried it would not live up to my expectations. The story was very well told and very believable as a 13 year old girl. It has been so long since I have read a ghost story and this had a lovely mixture of tension, fantastical elements and mythology. Recommended to those who know Beagle's writing and those encountering him for the first time.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I was worried about not liking this one too after only reading The Last Unicorn. I loved it too though!

Alice Teh said...

I'm going to have to order this, Rhinoa. For now it goes under wish list because my local bookstores have yet to carry the title. Bummer!

Cath said...

I read this one a few weeks back too and enjoyed it a lot, with a couple of reservations - neither of which I can remember now. :-) A good ghost yarn with some nice history interwoven.

Nymeth said...

yay, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I know the feeling of being afraid that another book by the author of something you love won't be as good. But so far, I love Peter Beagle more with each book of his I read.

Framed said...

I'm planning this book as my last read for R.I.P. Now I can't wait.

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I like it! I'll have to see about finding this one!