Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 260
Series : #1 Bath and Body Mystery
Reason for Reading : RIP III Challenge

India Ink is a pen name of Yasmine Galenorn who has written both non-fiction on witchcraft and urban fantasy fiction. This is the first in a series of books she has written in a mystery series that includes beauty and spa tips which I do aim to try out!

Persia Vanderbilt has moved back to live with her Aunt in Gull Harbor, Washington, after her boyfriend was imprisoned for fraud and embezzelment. At her new home she works for her Aunt in Venus Envy where she uses her exceptional nose to brew new perfumes, bath oils and all manner of lovely pampering spa treatments. On the side she also teaches self defence and has been doing martial arts training for many years.

What was once a sleepy town is rocked when Queen Bitch and beauty contest winner Lydia Wang is murdered in the shop and a gift to Persia, Aphrodite's Mirror, is stolen. Trevor (Lydia's ex boyfriend and Peria's friend) is arrested for the murder and things do not look good for him. Persia and her Aunt believe he is innocent and set out to prove it, following clues and poking their noses in around the town and in Seattle.

I enjoyed this book, it was a fun and short read. I don't usually read mystery novels and I loved that it combined real beauty tips to try out at home. Persia makes a good heroine and role model, appreciating beauty in everyone and not conforming to the sterotypes out there in the media. I will continue with the series as well as find time for her urban fantasy series in the near future hopefully.

4 comments:

Nymeth said...

I don't usually read mysteries either, but this sounds very unusual and enjoyable. I liked what you said about it defying the stereotypes of beauty you see in the media.

Veens said...

I was here to remind you about the read-a-thon :)

Have fun participating!!
On Oct 18th!

For Read-a-thon
My BLOG

Darla D said...

This sounds like a fun read. I must admit I was a bit relieved to see that my library doesn't have it yet. I have been accumulating a shocking number of books, and I need to break this habit of nipping over and putting them on hold when I read about a book on your blog. I am out of control! So I will put it on a list like a normal person. And stop hoarding books. I can do that. Really.
:-p

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds like a good book. I always like checking out books by authors who are writing with a pen name. Good review :)