Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 290
Series : #3 Bayern (Goose Girl)
Reason for Reading : Series II Challenge, because I loved the first two

The war between Bayern and Tira is over, but it is not the end of the story by any means. Finn, Enna and Razo are sent on a mission of peace to Tira to try and smooth things over. Along the way Razo finds a series of bodies that seem to have been burnt to death. He worries that Enna is back burning people and losing control of her gifts, or that she is doing it without her knowledge which is possibly more worrying. He tries to keep an eye on her with Finn's help to find out the truth.

Complications also arise as there are a force of people in Tira still campaigning to re-start the war. They are making assination attempts on the diplomat from Bayern. Rzo meets Dasha, a flame haired girl from Tira, who he develops strong feelings for. There is suspicision that she is responsible for the burnings which makes Razo very conflicted.

I loved that Razo was the main character of this installment, although it was also lovely to have all the other main characters there supporting him. He is very observant, but also very stupid when it comes to feelings! I love that Shannon Hale really changes the tone of her novels with the different main characters leading the tales. I can't wait for the fourth book in the series to come out. Maybe Finn will be centre stage next?

6 comments:

Melody said...

Oh, I can't wait to read this one! I enjoyed The Goose Girl and Enna Burninig so I know this one will not disappoint too. ;)

Alice Teh said...

I have all the three books in my TBR and hope to start reading them soon. Thanks for the review!

mariel said...

Ahh you read it! I love this series, though I do prefer the first two books, perhaps because my favourite characters are Finn and Enna. I'm really looking forward to the next in the series. I agree that Shannon Hale has this ability to mould her writing to her main protagonist in each story, without changing her style too much. I'm glad you liked it!

Nymeth said...

I'd love it if the fourth book was from Finn's perspective! I'm glad you enjoyed this so much. I love this series.

Kim L said...

Wow, I didn't know there was already a third book in this series. I liked The Goose Girl pretty well, but I haven't had a chance to check out any of the other books after it. Sounds like a good read, though!

samantha.1020 said...

Another series that I really need to get to. Aack! And I've heard such good things about this too :)