Sunday, October 19, 2008



Well this is the end of the read-a-thon. I just finished Stardust although it was a race at the end. Stardust wraps up the Herding Cats tl;dr challenge as well. My reading stats at the end are:

Pages Read: 140 Here, There be Dragons, 281 Huckleberry Finn, 240 Gloom Cookie v1, 224 Gloom Cookie v2, 204 Dark Wraith of Shannara, 224 Stardust
Total Pages Read : 1313
Books Completed: 6
Mini-Challenges Participated In: 3 or 4 I think
Reading Challenges completed curing read-a-thon: 3 (Graphic Novel, Inklings and tl;dr)

I am now 8 reviews behind which is a first for me and I will try and update my blog before the end of the month. I am also terribly behind with visiting everyone's blogs as work has been really busy still, but again I will get back on top of things by the end of the month hopefully. I had a great time and hope everyeone else did too. All that is left is the End of Event Meme:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
From about 4am it started getting really hard and I had to have a few hours off for sleeping (15 hours in)

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
The Gloom Cookie graphic novels were fun and easy reads when you are starting to flag and Stardust was a lovely upbeat way to end the challenge.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
None that I can think of, it was a lot of fun.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
It was lovely to have lots of mini challenges and comments from other people either doing the read-a-thon or being cheerleaders. Such a great sense of community.

5. How many books did you read?
I read 6 in total (one I had started the day before and was half way through which I finished up first)

6. What were the names of the books you read?
Here, There be Dragons - James A Owen
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Gloom Cookie v1 - Serena Valentino
Gloom Cookie v2 - Serena Valentino
Dark Wraith of Shannara - Terry Brooks
Stardust - Neil Gaiman

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
Here, There Be Dragons was my favourite although I did really enjoy both Gloom Cookie's and Stardust.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
Huckleberry Finn just because it seemed to take forever to read. The first third was a bit dull but the later two thirds definitely improved.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
I was not and this was my first read-a-thon so not really any advice except keep posting and cheering!

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I hope to do it again in the future ideally as a reader.

14 comments:

Marg said...

Well done on completing the readathon!

softindierocker said...

Wow, congrats on making it so far in the read-a-thon! The books you read look really interesting. ;) It's my first read-a-thon too- I'm so glad we both enjoyed it! I hope you have a good one! =D

~Lucy D =)

gautami tripathy said...

Stardust is on TBR pile! I must get around it soon!

samantha.1020 said...

Wow! Nice job on 6 books. I'm impressed...that's a lot of reading. Hope you are getting lots of sleep today :)

jehara said...

yay for making it to the end!! i am glad you liked stardust. this was a whole lot of fun. :)

Nymeth said...

I loved the sense of community too. I'm really glad you decided to join and had such a great time!

and yay, you loved Stardust!

I am now 6 reviews behind...I wanted to try and catch up a bit today, but my brain just refuses to function :P

DesLily said...

congrats on the read a thon! Everyone did great and everyone had fun!

Ohhh, you read Here there Be Dragons! Loved that book! I"ve read his second book The Red Dragon and just got his third book Indigo King which I am looking forward to reading soon!

Chris said...

You kicked my ass by 310 pages! Way to go :) Read some great books too...looking forward to those reviews!

Trish said...

You did such a fantastic job of reading!! 1300 pages!! I totally agree about the reviews--one of the pitfalls of the read-a-thon. Some do post their reviews but it takes too much time away from reading!

Glad you liked Stardust...I read it for the last read-a-thon and really enjoyed it.

Robert Burdock said...

Rhinoa - That's an impressive total (exactly double what I read, and I couldn't even find the time to get to any challenges either..hhmmpphhh!! :o))

Seriously though - Congratulations!
Rob
(RobAroundBooks)

tanabata said...

You did great! I've never been this far behind on reviews either, but it was worth it!

Andi said...

Fantastic job on the read-a-thon! I'm behind in my reviews, too, and that's never happened before!

Book Zombie (Joanne) said...

Fantastic job! I love the Gloom Cookie collections too.

Melody said...

Well done, Rhinoa! That's a lot of books you read! Can't wait to read the reviews! :)