Sunday, October 26, 2008


Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 326
Series : #1 The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica
Reason for Reading : The Inklings Challenge

Three young men are thrown together in an adventure when John's Oxford University professor is murdered. Jack is due to start Oxford University next year and Charles works for the Oxford University Press and all are in London answering questions about the professors death. Whilst there the soon to be companions meet the strange Bert who claims to be a friend and entrusts John with a mysterious book called The Imaginarium Geographica.

The book is really an atlas and shows the worlds of the imagination. It is written in many different languages and John has been studying under the tutorship of the late professor and is the new caretaker. The problem is that the Winter King also wants the book and has sent all manner of beasties after them including the wendigo (half man, half wolf) and the shadow-born. The three plus Bert and his crew must sail the Indigo Dragon ship in a race to save all the worlds from the Winter King and being turned into shadows.

I LOVED this book, it as like it was written for me with anything I could possibly want in a novel! There are many references to novels and authors I love including JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Peter Pan, Alice's Adventures in Wonderlan, Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, HG Wells etc. I know some have faulted it for taking so many ideas, but this is exactly what I adored about it. It fitted the different worlds together in a great adventure with memorable characters. I knew a little about the book to begin with (including Jack and John's identities), but I won't give that away here. Suffice to say anyone with a real love of fantasy needs to read this book! I can't wait to read the next in the series, The Red Dragon.

6 comments:

Cath said...

I'm definitely going to get hold of this one! I just checked our library catalogue and they do have a copy but it's out on loan. Hopefully I'll have the patience to wait for it to be returned.

DesLily said...

you'll be happy to know that book 3 has been released "Indigo King".. so now you have 2 more books by Owens (I've read the first two and have book 3 in my tbr pile)

Nymeth said...

I'm glad you're thinking of picking this for our challenge because I really want to read it! I love books that combine different ideas and references to other books like that.

mariel said...

What a wonderfully imaginative plot, it really reminds me of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, drawing from so many works that I love. I'm really glad you liked this, though I should have known that you would. Get a move on with the next one woman!

Alice Teh said...

I'm definitely going to get this one SOON. Thanks for the great review!

Robin said...

This sounds like a must-read! It's going right on my list.