Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 200
Series : #3 Death Note
Reason for Reading : Because it is awesome!

Continuing the story of Light Yagami who has the Death Note tht belongs to the death god Ryuk. Whoevers name is written in the death note dies and Light is using it to kill all the criminals broadcat on the news and so bring about a new world order with him as the new god. On his case is the mysterious L whose identity is known to only a few (including Light's father who is the head of the division in the Japanese police on the case).

L escalates his plan to catch Light who has been named "Kira" by the press. He knows Light is a suspect and joins his college where he tries to befriend him. In a shocking confession he tells Light that he is L and asks for his help to solve the Kira case. It puts Light in a real dilema as if he uses the death note to kill L it will be obvious he is Kira. The tension mounts and there is a second person calling themself Kira and killing criminals as well as innocent people. It seems there is a second death note loose in the world.

A fantastic installment, I can't wait for the next one! It is so clever and there is a very tense tennis match between Light and L where you see just how alike and competitive they both are. This is the best manga series I have read and I recommend it to anyone who has not tried this genre before. Excellent reading with beautiful illustrations.

6 comments:

Melody said...

I didn't pick up this series, but I had watched the movie version; it was great!!

Alice Teh said...

I might just pick this up, Rhinoa. I haven't watch the movie but sure am interested to read the manga.

Nymeth said...

lol, I like your reason for reading :P It sounds like this series keeps getting better and better!

Darla D said...

I read the first two of these and was really enjoying them - and then someone left a comment on my blog telling me what happens at the end! :-(

Rhinoa said...

Melody - I am looking forward to watching the anime and the live action film once I finish the manga.

Alice - I hope you give it a go.

Nymeth - Yes it's great at the moment. Alex says the middle ones are a bit rubbish, but it ends on a high again.

Darla - I can't beleive someone was shitty enough to do that. That's really mean.

Darla D said...

Oh, I don't think they meant to spoil things like that - it seemed more thoughtless than mean. But I have to say I'm cheered by your indignation - I was annoyed all the same!