Thursday, October 30, 2008


Rating : 3.0/5
Number of Pages : 308
Series : #1 Carpathian
Reason for Reading : First in a Series Challenge

Raven Whitney is a psychic who uses her gifts to track down seriel killers for the police. This has devestating effects on her, it is terribly painful and emotional difficult to be in the presence of so much evil. She goes on vacation to the Carpathian mountains to escape the crush of people, but gets more than she bargained for when she meets the mysterious Mikhail Dubrinsky.

Mikhail is a true Carpathian wh daws strength and healing from the earth. Carpathian's are a race apart from humans who have telepathic gifts, can shapshift, drink blood and cannot stomach human food as well as having great strength. They have much extended life spans and when they lose their focus they can turn into vampires causing havoc and chaos in the human world. They have one true life mate (usually a Carpathian female) but they are having troubles producing female children that survive and so their race is declining. All this changes when Raven enters their villiage and she is considered the last hope by many for the continuation of their race.

My main issue with this was it was paranormal romance. I rally like urban fantasy, but am not a big romance fan and wasn't really sure what the different between the two genres was. It seems there is a lot more sex (not that I am against sex scenes, they just became a little too frequent and lost their sexiness as a result) and a lot less plot. It also felt like a male fantasy rather than something written for women. Raven had long silky hair, over sized breasts and a tiny waist. She tried to stand up for heself but Mikhail kept controlling her and calling her "little one" which annoyed me. The last third of the book got much better (hence the higher rating) and the plot picked up a great deal. I do want to read the next one to see what happens next to some of the supporting characters, but it is not my favourite series so far.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

I'll probably skip this series then. The patronizing "little one" in particular sounds like something that'd annoy me too.

Ladytink_534 said...

I tried one of her books before but I think it was a part of one of her series and since I read it out of order I didn't really enjoy it that much.

samantha.1020 said...

I've heard a lot about this series but haven't given it a try myself. I'm an urban fantasy fan too!