Friday, October 03, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Best

What, in your opinion, is the best book that you haven’t liked? Mind you, I don’t mean your most-hated book–oh, no. I mean the most accomplished, skilled, well-written, impressive book that you just simply didn’t like.
Like, for movies–I can acknowledge that Citizen Kane is a tour de force and is all sorts of wonderful, cinematically speaking, but . . . I just don’t like it. I find it impressive and quite an accomplishment, but it’s not my cup of tea.
So . . . what book (or books) is your Citizen Kane?


It's been ages since I have been at home and able to answer the Booking Through Thursday questions. For me, the most well written book and widely praised book that I haven't liked has been One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I just found it slow and dull, it was a real struggle to finish it despite everyone raving about it. I am planning on reading Love in the Time of Cholera (another of his highly praised works) and see if I like it any better. When I was walking around New York on holiday for some reason I overheard so many people talking about his books and saying how much they loved and recommended them that I Hope I am able to change my opinion.

The picture above is what Alex made for me while I was away in Toronto. He bought a My Little Pony and customised it as you can see. I particularly like the high heels he made her out of gaffer tape and stockings made from the mesh bag oranges come in. He is nothing if not resourceful!

8 comments:

Book Zombie said...

Haha I looove your MLP - so cute!

I haven't read One Hundred Years, but I am working of Love In The Time Of Cholera. It seems everyone praises it, but I'm finding it dry. Hope you have better luck!

gautami tripathy said...

Oh dear! And I love Marquez!

*grin*

My BTT post!

Nymeth said...

I love the My Little Pony!

I hope you enjoy Love in the Tome of Cholera more than A Hundred Years of Solitude. I loved both, but I can see why his books are of the love them or hate them sort.

Susan said...

I haven't read either Marquez book yet, though I almost picked up both recently...some day, maybe (even if Nymeth loves them!) I'll read them. Let us know how you find 100 Years of Solitude, the one I keep seeing....
and the little pony? I'm not sure I can show my little girl what your Alex did, she is going to either love it or cry!!! I like it though....

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh my. That's one messed up Pony! *grin* Kind of neat though!

Literary Feline said...

If I had participated this week in BTT, I would have most likely picked this book as well.

Several people have mentioned that they liked Time in Cholera despite not liking One Hundred Years of Solitude. If you do get around to reading Time in Cholera, I will be curious to know if you agree. :-) I admit that I'm not leaning in the direction of reading it. It hasn't called my name yet.

Kim L said...

Haha, I like your pony... lots of personality.

Haven't read that book, but for me the volume is Wuthering Heights. Hated it, even though it is a well-loved classic.

Alice Teh said...

Wow, look at your MLP! Totally cool! :D

I couldn't handle The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai despite all the great praises for it. I read Love In The Time Of Cholera a little bit but stopped because it was a tad dry but I hope to revisit it one day.