Sunday, October 12, 2008


Rating : 3.0/5
Number of Pages : 480
Series : The Bartimeaus Trilogy
Reason for Reading : Young Adult Challenge, Mythopoeic Challenge

The first in the Bartimeaus Trilogy introduces young magician's apprentice Nathaniel who summons demon Bartimeaus who is often seen in the form of a gargoyle (or a young Egytpian boy depending on his whim). Nathaniel has as ecret enemy, a powerful magician who has humiliated him in front of his master and a group of other magicians. He is not one to forgive and forget so he summons a demon to exact his revenge. To do this they try to steal the Amulet of Samarkad which they know the magician has acquired by deceitful means.

It proves more difficult than Nathaniel thought and the two of them get in a lot of trouble with magicians, other demons and the magical government. It is set in modern day London, but agic rules the nation a little like in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell by Susanna Clarke. I liked that not everything turned out well and events are not sugar coated, no everyone makes it through the novel unscathed. Along the way, Nathaniel and Bartimeaus uncover a plot to overthrow the government and wrestle control away.

A fun tale, it alternates between the two main characters Nathaniel and Bartimeaus narrating. Bartimeaus makes for the more enjoyable read, he is very funny and sarcastic about the lesser humans. It wasn't the best start to a young adult/fantasy series, but I enjoyed it enought to continue reading the next two books in the series. I look forward to reading more about the non-magical children who are leading the rebellion against the magic users.

4 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I started to read this but never got around to it. I will eventually though!

Nymeth said...

I will read this series eventually too. I've heard there are golems in it, and how can I resist golems? :P

DesLily said...

I read and loved the whole Bartimeaus Trilogy! In fact, I wish Stroud would make another series using him!

Darla D said...

I really enjoyed this trilogy, but especially because I listened to the audio version, and the narrator was fabulous. If you have the opportunity, give one a listen. The way he does Bartimaeus's voice is absolutely priceless!