Sunday, September 28, 2008


I completed the Non Fiction 5 Challenge hosted by Joy at Thoughts of Joy a few days ago. The challenge was simple, read 5 non fiction books between 1/5/08 - 30/9/08. My list was:

1. Candy Girl - Diablo Cody
2. Tarot for Self Discovery - Nina Lee Braden
3. Tarot Tips - Ruth Ann & Wald Amberstone
4. Understanding the Tarot Court - Mary K Greer
5. Piece by Piece - Tori Amos

I did not have time for my alternative Ogham by Paul Rhys Mountfort, but I will read it at some point. My favourites were easily Candy Girl and Piece by Piece which is interesting as I so rarely read autobiographies. I guess they are just two ladies I find particularly interesting.

I finished The End of the World Challenge hosted by Becky at Becky's Book Reviews and she has since put up a wrap up meme.

Would you be interested in having a second IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD (AS WE KNOW IT) reading challenge next summer?
Yes but it depends on how much time I have. I hope to catch up on my series reading so if it fit with that I would love to do it again.

Did you feel there was enough time allotted to read three books? Or would you rather expand the challenge to cover a longer period?
It was ok for me. A little tight with my other reading, but ok.

What was your favorite book read for the challenge?
I read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I enjoyed all three a lot for different reasons. It is a difficult choice, but I think I will go with Cloud Atlas as it was the most original of the three with the largest lasting impact. I have been recommending it to lots of people everywhere!

Did you have a least favorite book?
I enjoyed them all and it wouldn't be fair to answer this question.

What is one author/one book you'd recommend that others pick up?
Cloud Atlas for sure.

Did your own wishlist/tbr pile grow while reading others' reviews for this challenge?
Not too much this time around although I really do need to read Do Anderoids Dream of Electric Sheep. There were some great reviews and I am glad I picked Uglies to read as lots of other people read it and enjoyed it too.



And yes I am signing up for another challenge. Hold on though before the "what are you doing you crazy challenge addicted person?!?" cries. I plan on catching up with series I started this year in 2009 and I read Uglies this year by Westerfeld and really enjoyed it. The challenge is to read at least 2 more of his novels in 2009 and I want to finish the series:

1. Pretties (Book 2)
2. Specials (Book 3)
3.Extras (Book 4)

So it's not so bad really. Honest! Details found here and it is hosted by Becky again.

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Congrats on wrapping up your challenge! I just picked up Uglies but I haven't started it yet. I've heard so many good things about it though.

Nymeth said...

lol, it's not so bad, no :P It's a mini-challenge, after all. And you were going to read them anyway. There are lots of great challenges for 2009 that are starting to appear...I'm going to have to decide which ones I'll join.

Congrats on finishing the non-fiction five :)

Alice Teh said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge!