Thursday, September 04, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 176
Number in Series : #3
Reason for Reading : RIP II Challenge, Graphic Novel Challenge extra, to continue with this fantastic series

The third in the series by Serena Valentino. It is set out in a slighlty different format to the first two. This collection follows one storyline throughout with doll Annabelle very much in the background (she appears to those who have read the first two and recognise her). Rebecca and her aging aunt Victoria move into a house reputed to be hauntet in New Orleans.

Former owner Delphine Lalaurie was found to have killed her slaves in the house after torturing them and suffering them. One woman was chained to the stove and at least two men were operated on alive and well in horrendous ways. In the house Rebecca is beset by the spirits of the dead who are able to possess her in order to get their revenge. The story also links back to one from the first collection about a group of nuns in New Orleans who sacrifice Dominique's illegitimate son to amonster locked away in the attic.

A terrifying and gothic tale that Valentino begins saying "there is a truth embedded within the layers of fiction that fill this volume" and it is "inspired by historical events". How people can treat each other like this is disgraceful. However, it is beautifully drawn and a gripping tale that really leaves an impression on the reader. This is a great series and highly recommended.

7 comments:

Booklogged said...

I've only read one graphic novel so far and it was just okay. This series sounds good. The artwork reminds me of Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events series. Sounds like I better read these in order to gain the full benefit. Off to bookmooch...

Thanks, Rhinoa for the suggestion.

BTW I used to play the original Zelda by the hours. Now my teen daughter plays the most recent version by the hours.

Nymeth said...

You know what this reminds me of? Marguerite from The Witching Hour and all the atrocities she committed.

It really is disgraceful that people do things like these to one another. Sounds like a very dark book, but a great one. I ordered the first one in the series a few days ago so hopefully it will be here soon!

Chris said...

How have I never heard of this one before?? It sounds absolutely amazing! Definitely going to check this one out. In fact I have a $5 Borders coupon that I may go use tonight towards it ;)

jpderosnay said...

ah, it looks very good. the people seem deliciously bad. haha! and the art from the cover looks nice too.

Ladytink_534 said...

It sounds a little odd but also very good!

Debi said...

Wow...this series sounds fantastic! I think the cover alone would have sold me, but your review definitely sealed the deal! Now I just hope I can find them...

Iliana said...

I was really surprised by this one because I didn't expect it to be so dark. I am really curious about the rest of this series - see I didn't realize it was the doll that carried through the series. Very interesting.