Thursday, September 25, 2008

Minion - LA Banks


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 304
Number in Series : #1 Vampire Huntress
Reason for Reading : First in a Series Challenge, RIP III Challenge, TBR 2008 Challenge

The first Vampire Huntress Legend sets the scene nicely giving a lot of LA Banks take on the vampire mythology with a mix of demons thrown in for good measure. There is mention of other supernatural races which I hope feature in future novels too. Damali Richards is a young hip hop spoken word artist whose parents died when she was just a baby. She was destined to become the Neteru, basically the supreme vampire slayer, and is extra special being born to cross the millenium. The alignment of the planets becomes importnat giving clues as to the challenges she will face once she comes in to her true powers on her 21st birthday.

She works with a team of Guardians who work on the side of good and are descended from the original twelve tribes of Jacob's sons (remember Joseph of the famous dream coat was one of them). They fight alongside the humans against the fallen angels and monsters out there battling for peoples souls. A Guardian can be from any religion, as long as they have faith. They draw from ancient Egpyptian influences, Indian chakras all the way through to Buddhism and Christianity as their faith helps them in daily life.

Vampires are ruled by a Counsel based in Hell and are usually discret in their kills covering the puncture wounds so as not to arouse human suspicision. There has been a spate of brutal killings that look to be the result of a vampire aligning with a demon which has been previously unheard of. The combined creature brings a new set of powers and terror and Damali's team The Warriors of the Light must find the Master and put him down to release the lost souls and destroy his influence and the rest of his nest.

A great book. More in the style of Anne Rice than some of the newer series which I liked. I enjoyed the legend Banks put in place and it was refreshing to read about a vampire hunter who is not a perky blonde or smooth talking, gun slinging Lara Croft wannabe. Damali is a young black woman just reaching maturity and still trying to find her own identiy seperate from being the Neteru who is easy to empathise with. Her crew were distinct personalities and I enjoyed spending time with them all. I can't wait to continue their adventures in the nex book, The Awakening.

9 comments:

Jackie said...

For some reason, it reminded me too much of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but a lot more ghetto. Granted, I'm a white girl who doesn't know any better, but I couldn't get into it. I don't know if it was the speech dialogue (I found it kind of hard to read), but it definitely seemed like a ripoff of Buffy. I mean, Guardians...Watchers? The chosen one...the Neteru? Both were destined to be the slayer of vampires? Plus, I've heard that Damali's love interest ends up being a vampire. I could be wrong, but seriously, am I the only one who sees Buffy all over this?

Kailana said...

I keep looking at this series but I have never really read any reviews of it... I normally agree with you, so now I will probably have to pick this book up! Book bloggers are evil people...

Melody said...

Looks like another great vamp series I should look out for. Thanks for the great review, Rhinoa!

Ladytink_534 said...

I used to love Anne Rice! This sounds like a really interesting series.

Zeek said...

I just could not get into this book for some reason! I tried numerous times then gave up. ::shrug::

Nymeth said...

How can I resist after the magic words "more in the style of Anne Rice"? Sounds like a great series. I hope the rest of the books are just as good.

Andi said...

Interesting! I've seen this one numerous times but hadn't ever seen a review of it online. Might have to give t a go.

Clare said...

I have never read L A Banks but, keep seeing them will have to give them a try

Clare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.