Tuesday, September 23, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 117
Number in Series : #1 The Good Neighbours
Reason for Reading : I love Holly Black and was excited she had a new graphic novel out

I saw this when browsing the book shops in New York. I didn't know Holly had written a graphic novel so it was a lovely surprise and it is the first of a series of three. True to form it involves the faery folk as Rue Silver's life begins to change. Her mother has disappeared suddenly and she is starting to see things out of the corner of her eye. Her father is a professor at the local college and one of his students is found strangled, her body dumped in the river. He becomes the number one suspect and with her mother also missing things do not look promising.

Rue digs deeper into her family history and discovers her mother was one of the faery. Her father broke a promise and so her mother had to return to her realm leaving Rue to fend for herself mostly. She searches for her true indentiy, trying to solve the case of the drowned student and try to prove that her father is innocent at the same time.

Beautifully drawn, I fell in love with this tale straight away. I warmed to Rue, as usual Holly describes very realistic characters with real flaws you can truely empathise with. She makes the fantastic feel so much more mundance and possible. The book ends revealing many truths and opening the way for further mystery and exploration. I will be interested to see how things turn out with Rue and her boyfriend in the next installment and the truth about her mother. Recommended to teen readers and adults alike.

5 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I'm going to sit down one day and read all her books. I've read Tithe a long time ago but that's it.

Alice Teh said...

I love what she did for Spiderwick and will definitely check this out. Thanks for the review, Rhinoa!

Ladytink_534 said...

You've been awarded!

Nymeth said...

I didn't know she had written graphic novels. Judging by the cover, the art really must be beautiful. I need to check these out after I read the Tithe books.

Kailana said...

Another good review of this book! I am going to have to get it now. I liked Tithe, but the rest of the series just annoyed me, maybe I will have better luck with her graphic novels!