Monday, August 25, 2008

RIP III Challenge


It's that time of year again. Carl V at Stainless Steel Droppings is holding the RIP III Challenge which runs from September 1st until October 31st. The challenge is simple, read between 1 and 4 books (there are three parils to choose between) from the following subgenres:

Mystery
Suspense
Thriller
Dark Fantasy
Gothic
Horror
Supernatural
I have decided to opt for Peril the Second which means I am signing up to read at least 2 books during the challenge period. I am going to be a bit flexible in my reading and make a list of possible books I want to read and see what mood I am in during the time. I hope to read more than three but it just depends on work committments. Likewise if I see something else along the way that I like I will add it to the list.
  • Minion - LA Banks (Supernatural/Horror)
  • Scent to her grave - India Ink (Mystery)
  • Fool Moon - Jim Butcher (Supernatural/Mystery)
  • Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill (Horror)
  • Mona Lisa Awakening - Sunny (Dark Fantasy)
  • Claimed by Shadow - Karen Chance (Supernatural/Horror)
  • Never the Bride - Paul Magrs (Gothic)
  • Glass Houses - Rachel Caine (Supernatural)
  • Vampire Kisses - Ellen Schreiber (Supernatural)
All of the details can be found here and I can't wait to get started...

23 comments:

Carl V. said...

I am so glad you've joined in again this year, Rhinoa. I can certainly understand about work and hope you can read as much as you want to in the coming weeks.

Dark Orpheus said...

Good to always keep things flexible.

And have fun with the challenge.

Jackie said...

I've been looking for a halloween challenge and now I've found one. Awesome! Thanks.

Kailana said...

I just ordered the fourth Rachel Caine book from Amazon yesterday. It will probably be one of my reads. It isn't my favourite series ever but it is good brain candy. Good luck with reading!

Lightheaded said...

I so love Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill :) And I like Harry Dresden a lot :)

Hope you have the time to read more! Let's all have fun with this challenge :)

Alice Teh said...

That's an interesting challenge! And it's good to keep it flexible too. Happy reading and enjoy the challenge! :)

Robin said...

I haven't read any of these, so I'm really looking forward to your reviews.

Susan said...

I can't believe I forgot to put Heart-Shaped Box on my list! Sorry to hear work is interfering with reading (possibly) - it looks a really good list and I haven't heard of some of the authors so some to go find at my library later, thanks! I have Fool Moon on my RIP3 challenge also. I like being able to choose, something I am learning with all the challenges I am in this year. I really hope you get time to read as many books in this challenge as you want!

Melody said...

Great list, Rhinoa!
I can't wait to read your thoughts on Heart-Shaped Box... I've this in my pile and a lot of readers raved about it.

katrina said...

I've only heard of one of these, so I'll be looking out for your reviews as I'm always looking for more ways to expand mount tbr

Cath said...

Never the Bride is great fun! The others are all unknown to me so I look forward to your reviews. Nice list.

Bellezza said...

All your choices are new to me! Boy, do I feel illiterate. ;)

tanabata said...

I haven't heard of most of the ones in your list. This challenge is always bad for the wishlist! ;)

Nymeth said...

Out of those I've only read Heart-Shaped Box. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and that the others turn out to be just as good. I look forward to your reviews :)

Debi said...

I haven't heard of many of your "possibles" so it will be great fun reading your reviews! I do have Heart Shaped Box on my list, too, and really hope I get to it.

Stephanie said...

Yeah! This is my favorite challenge! I loved Fool Moon! And I have Heart-Shaped Box on my list as well. I also have Glass Houses here. May have to slip that in too!

Great list!

Trish said...

Oh dear--those titles alone would keep me up at night! I've seen Heart-Shaped Box on a lot of lists. I hope you enjoy!

Susan said...

I tagged you for a meme: http://susanflynn.blogspot.com/2008/08/book-meme.html
It's fun and harder than it looks!

Alice Teh said...

I've decided to participate! :)

Quixotical said...

Hey Rhinoa, long time no chat! :) Hope you're doing well. When I'm done commenting on RIP posts I'll have to catch up with your blog.

Your list sounds great, although I've only actually read Heart Shaped Box. Look forward to your review if you get round to that one, I loved it. I'll be reading his short story collection - 20th Century Ghosts - for the challenge.

Stefanie said...

Nice list! My husband read Heart-Shaped Box and thought it very good and scary.

Iliana said...

Ooh Heart-Shaped Box was so good and creepy! I hope you enjoy that one. You've got some titles on here I must check out - they sound good. Have fun with the challenge!

jpderosnay said...

ah - i haven't hear of ANY of these. i look forward to reading your reviews!