Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Messenger - Lois Lowry


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 169
Number in Series : #3
Reason for Reading : Irresitible Review Challenge and to complete the series

Completing the series of books by Lois Lowry connecting other worlds. The first was The Giver and the second was Gathering Blue and both seemed unconnected at the time of reading. This third novel brings the main characters together from the first two books and shows nicely what happened next in their lives.

Matty now lives in Villiage after leaving where he was brought up. He is waiting to be granted his true name from Leader and hope to become Messenger. He is the only one who seems accepted by Forest which lets him travel freely to ther places and deliver messages on behalf of Leader. Others have been known to be entangled and killed by Forest who always provides warnings like stabbing branches. Matty lives with Seer who is blind but has a great understanding of the world around him.

Things in Villiage have been slowly changing. Those who were once wise and kind have been attending the Trade Meet and are slowly changing. They want to put forward a petition that will stop all new comers from entering and joining Villiage which has become a haven for those cast or or mistreated by their own people. Matty must travel through Forest a final time to post notices and to bring back Seer's daughter who promised she would one day join him. Forest itself also seems to be changing, becoming darker and changing it's paths. Matty must save his secret gift to use when the time is right if he is to save them all.

This was a beautiful and sad conclusion to the series. A quick read but one that stays with you long after you finish the last page.

Other reivews :
3M - I was inspired to pick up this series and this book by her Book Awards Reading Challenge and personal blog

4 comments:

Andi said...

I have Gathering Blue on my TBR, and I really need to add Messenger to the bunch. It's been years since I read The Giver for the first time (taught it a couple of times since then, so I've had to re-read), so I'm curious how this series is going to grow and change with the next two books. Great review!

Kim L said...

I also reviewed this one here.

I thought it was okay, but not as good as the first two. I'm glad you liked it! It was kind of fun to see how Lowry connected her two books.

Robin said...

I loved this trilogy -- and especially loved using it in the classroom because it was so fun to see how my 6th graders reacted to each book. We had wonderful class discussions about the ideas. It really got them thinking!

Nymeth said...

I finally read The Giver this past week and now I can't wait to get to Gathering Blue and then this.