Friday, August 01, 2008

Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 128
Number in Series : #1 Jack of Fables
Reason for Reading : A-Z Reading Challenge, to read more from the Fables world

A spin-off comic series from Fables by the same author. This follows Jack of many names (Jack Horner, Jack B Nimble, Jack the Giant Killer, Jack of the Tales and John Trick) after he has been forced out of Fableland and told never to return. The collection of the first 5 comics opens with Jack hitch hiking and being kidnapped and taken to the Golden Boughs Retirement Community. There live an assortment of Fables guarded by the mysterious bagmen, tigers and other traps waiting to be forgotten by the mundanes.

Overseeing the community is Mr Revise who seems to have special powers in locating Fables. Underneath him inthe operation is Priscilla Page (Retrievals), Robin Page (Security) and Hillary Page (Research). Of course Jack isn't too happy about being kidnapped and held against his will and sets about uniting the Fables and organising a mass breakout. What he doesn't know is that one of the Fables is working undercover for Revise.

A really fun tale, Jack makes a great central character. Some familiar faces from previous Fables comics turn up and some others from half remembered stories. The cover has great artwork with Jakc sporting a t shirt that says "Ensemble books are for losers" and a Fable in the background holding up a sign that says "How dare you get your own series". Classic. I can't wait to read what happens next in the next collection Jack of Hearts.

4 comments:

Nicola said...

I've wanted to read these for a long time but my library doesn't have any.

I used to have a strange reluctancy to ILL graphic novels but I've gotten over that now with the Rick Geary books.

So I guess I'll just have to start ILL-ing these. Can't wait to see what you think of the next one.

Nymeth said...

I've always wondered if being up to date with the Fables books was necessary to read this spin-off. It sounds like it isn't, though, so I'll have to look for it. I like Jack a lot, and I can see why he'd make such a great main character.

Kim L said...

Sounds like fun. I really have to see what further Fables books my library has.

Andi said...

I've been really unsure whether or not to try this series because I was only lukewarm about Jack as a character in the Fables series. However, you're the 2nd person I've seen that liked it, and our tastes are similar, so I'll give it a go!