Saturday, August 30, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 317
Number in Series : #2 Goose Girl Series
Reason for Reading : Series II Challenge

The follow up to the wonderful The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale sees the return of many favourite characters from the first book in the series. Enna is now the main character and themain focus is on the fabled three gifts people were said to possess; people speaking, animal speaking and nature speaking. Her friend Isi is able to speak with some animals and the wind which she can bend to her will. It seems Enna's brother Leifer has somehow learnt to hear fire, but it is destrustive burning everything it touches including the speaker.

War suddenly descends on Bayern and it is up to Enna to decide if she too wants to learn fire speak. An augery tells her she will win the war using fire, but at what cost. It has consumed many others in the past and if she learns it will the same happen to her. Isi hears of a tribe in the desert who may be able to provide answers on how to control this gift and her own wind speaking, which is now becomming difficult for Isi to manage as well.

This is the story of Enna's journey, to find out who she really is and who she really loves. To discover the true power of friendship and sharing as well as grief and how to let go. I did really enjoy this tale, though it wasn't quite as good as The Goose Girl. Razo is one of my favourite characters and I liked reading his interplay with Finn and Enna. I was also glad that Isi remained central to the story whilst still giving Enna her time to shine. I look forward to reading River Secrets and completing the series soon.

7 comments:

mariel said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. Finn and Enna are my favourites, and I love the idea of speaking to the wind and fire. If Razo's your favourite, you'll enjoy River Secrets. I can't wait for her fourth book!

Alice Teh said...

Hi Rhinoa. Thanks for the great review. I have both Enna Burning and Goose Girl in my TBR. I really hope to get started on them soon...

Nymeth said...

I was going to say just what Mariel said about River Secrets. I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

samantha.1020 said...

I've been wanting to read Goose Girl for awhile. This was an interesting review...thanks!

Ladytink_534 said...

I love these types of books. Sounds like a great series!

Melody said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Rhinoa! I'm looking forward to reading River Secrets soon.

Terri B. said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying the series! I think Enna Burning was my favorite, but I think all three are truly excellent.