Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 436
Number in Series : #2 Camelot
Reason for Reading : Arthurian Challenge, I enjoyed Camelot's Shadow so much I was eager to read the next in the series

In this second installment in the series Gawain's younger brother Geraint takes centre stage as he battles alongside the Lady Elen. Elen survives her mother's brutal murder at the hands of Urien, the lover of Morgaine also known as Morgan le Fae, only to become trapped by them. Morgaine removes Elen's still beating heart which she places inside the breat of a hawk. However is master to the hawk is also Elen's master and she must obey their every command.

Her own magic is strong in her veins and she is able to have more freedom than Morgaine is aware of. With the help of Geraint she becomes her own master and they escape into the land of the Lord and Lady of the Fae. The only way to kill Urien who is protected by Morgaine's magic is to complete a quest for the Lord and Lady. They must find the Little King, Gwiffert pen Lleied, and obtain by honourable means the spear of Manawyddan. The spear has it's own magic and will fly true to the aimed at and then return to the throwers hand. After she has used it to kill Urien she must return it to the Fae.

Things are never simple as the Little King lives in a place filled with secrecy, sorcery, servants and many legends. The couple must keep their wits about them and distinguish the lies from the truths if they are to succeed and escape with their lives.

Filled with many myths and legends from Welsh mythology, I enjoyed this even more than Camelot's Shadow and can't wait to read the third in the series, Camelot's Sword. The story telling was carefully crafted and drew me in to their world completely. There were enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a story well told with well developed characters and plot.

8 comments:

Literary Feline said...

What a great review, Rhinoa! And I love the cover on this book. Arthurian literature is hit and miss with me, but this does sound really good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kailana said...

See, I own the first book in this trilogy and that review just made me want to go dig it out and start it! I have had it on my nightstand about five times and still never got around to it...

Ladytink_534 said...

Wow what an interesting story! The cover is gorgeous too.

Rhinoa said...

Literary Feline - I hope you do give it a chance, this one was more fantasy and mythology than Arthurian.

Kailana - Do go get it. There are actually 4 in the series though not 3 so even more fun!

Ladytink - I know, I want her dress so badly...

Bobbi said...

Great review! I must have missed the review for Camelot's Shadow; I'm off the surf your archives. Thanks!

Nymeth said...

I really really have to read this series!

Framed said...

This sounds like a great series. I would have a hard time trying to think how to say those names though. I have always struggled with Welsh words. But I'm adding it to the list anyway. Thanks for the review.

margotreehugger said...

Loved the first book and will have to get around to reading this one. ;)