Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 754
Number in Series : #4 Twilight Series
Reason for Reading : For the sheer fun of reading it!

The concluding part in the Twilight series. The story picks up just after Eclipse ends, Edward has asked Bella to marry him on the condition he will consent to turning her into a vampire. Her further stipulation is that they have their honeymoon while she is still mortal with a traditional wedding night. The problem with this idea is Edward's superhuman strength. It takes him a lot of effort to control his vampire urges, desires and strengths and during sex that it likely to be particularly difficult and life threatening to Bella.

There is also the question of the other "man" in her life, werewolf Jacob Black. They have a close connection and Bella has frequently been torn between Edward and Jacob. At the close of Eclipse she has chosen Edward, but who knows what new twists will occur in this final novel. Another complication is that if Bella is turned into a vampire she will never be able to see her family again as she can't tell anyone about vampires. The whole acceleration of her desire to transform into a vampire is because of the vampire counsel, the Volturi, who uphold all vampire laws which include that mortals cannot know of Bella's existence and her knowledge of their kind. She is a threat that must be stopped and the only way to keep her alive is to turn her into an immortal.

The book spends some time focusing on another of the vampire laws, which I won't go into here for fear of spoiling the story for anyone after weaving together Bella and Jacobs stories. The regular characters are all back for the finale as well as various new immortals (both werewolf and vampire as well as some compeltely new). The relationships are the main focus again, but without the whiney overtones from the previous two in the series.

I completely loved this book. It captured my interest from the beginning and held it all the way through despite it's length. Many twists and turns, this seemed written more for older readers. There is still no bad language, but there is a lot more implied violence in places that could be quite disturbing for younger people. I thought though that it was a fitting conclusion to the series and it was left open enough to do a spin off series or continue it futher down the line.

8 comments:

Melody said...

Now Rhinoa, after reading your review it really makes me want to devour this book sooner!!! ;)

Bobbi said...

I'm so glad you liked the book! I was beginning to think I was the only one. There have been so many BAD reviews of this book and I just can't understand why.

I'm looking forward to her release of Midnight Sun, which is supposed to be a retelling of Twilight from Edward's point of view.

Andi said...

Yayyy! I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did. And I really LOVED the cast of new vampires we got to meet in this novel. The gathering at the end was just magnificent!

Trish said...

*Giant SIGH* I have successfully avoided these books but now that I seem them everywhere with glowing reviews I feel like I need to jump on the bandwagon. I'm glad you liked how the series ended!

jehara said...

glad you liked it! i really really enjoyed it, too. i think i liked it better than all the other ones but my friends didn't like it so much. i have been meaning to blog about it but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

Amy said...

I just finished Eclipse last night. I peeked at your review to see that you loved it but didn't read the rest. I am looking forward to coming back and reading it after I finish!

Alice Teh said...

I will be getting this soon. I've finished all the earlier 3 books. Thanks for the review, Rhinoa!

Clare said...

Excellent review, I haven't got this yet but, its on my list to buy.