Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 400
Number in Series : #3 Tiffany Aching Series
Reason for Reading : Series II Challenge, to finish the series as I loved the first two

Tiffany Aching is back for another adventure in the Discworld. As usual the Nac Mac Feegles (Wee Free Men) are on hand to "help" out wherever they are needed and frequently where they aren't. Tiffany is still an apprentice witch and is currently working with Miss Treason. She is taken along to the dance between winter and summer when her itchy feet cause her to jump in and dance with the Wintersmith. He is an elemental (not quite god status) and controls winter. He is interested in Tiffany and thinks he is in love with her.

Strange changes in the weather are noticed. Snowflakes are no longer unique and a strange brand of roses bloom near Tiffany. People also keep asking how her feet are and she is having a strange voice use her mouth. She needs to deal with the Wintersmith or they may never be another spring time and it looks as if she is transforming into Lady Summer.

Granny Weatherwax sends her to live with Nanny Ogg for a spell to try to hide her from the Wintersmith. Granny has a new kitten that Tiffany gave her aptly named "You" (as in "You, get back here") which is adorable and puts Greebo in his place. The Feegles are their usual selves, thieving, reading peoples diaries and drinkning. There was a great quote that summed up the Feegles near the end:

"The log was covered in Feegles. They all looked cheerful. Admittedly, certain death awaited them, but it did not - and this is important - involve having to spell anything."

In the background is Roger who Tiffany rescued from the Queen of the Fairies in The Wee Free Men. His father, the baron, is dying and his aunts are making his life miserable. He writes to Tiffany regularly and ends up being dragged by the Feegles into the mess with the Wintersmith as a hero.

I really enjoyed this tale and hope that Pratchett writes more in this series as I do prefer it to the adult ones. I love the witches and it was great to have Nanny Ogg in this one as well as more from Granny Weatherwax. I loved how she interacts with the kitten You. Tiffany is a great character and I have really warmed to the Feegles. I also really enjoy reading about Pratchett's take on witches and witchcraft which differs so much from what you see in other media. It's fun to poke fun at the new age wicca at times which does seem to reply a lot on appearences rather than substance.

6 comments:

Nymeth said...

Wasn't You great? I just loved the scene when Tiffany brings him to Granny Weatherwax. I really really hope he'll write more in this series too.

Ladytink_534 said...

I really need to read this series!

Robin said...

I agree with ladytink ... I need to read this series!

heather (errantdreams) said...

Awwww. I haven't read any of these, but clearly I should!

Alice Teh said...

I think I wanna give Terry Pratchett a read one of these days.

captain said...

visit me on naruto episode