Friday, July 18, 2008

Tangled Webs - Anne Bishop


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 368
Number in Series : #5 The Black Jewels Series
Reason for Reading : Series II Challenge

The main characters from The Black Jewels series return in another dark installment. One of the Landen has just discovered he is actually Blood. He is an author and has written a series of books with main character Landry Langston who discovers as the series progresses that he is Blood. He posts a personalised copy to Daemon SaDiablo with the hopes of it sparking a friendship, but gains no reply. He decides to construct a cunning plan involving a "spooky house" to gain revenge on Daemon, his family and the rest of the Blood.

The focus is on Surreal SaDiablo and her companion Rainier. Surreal started working as a whore on the street at a very young age and kept her other profession as an assassin a secret from many. She recieves an invitation from Jaenelle and Marian (Lucivar's wife) to their "spooky house" and turns up with Rainier to find they have been tricked into a second one filled with dangerous traps and a house trying to make them a part of it for ever. To make matters worse they are told they cannot use ay Craft as an exit will close for each use (there are 30 in total) and they invited some lanen children inside the house with them.

When I first read the plot I as really disappointed. It sounded really rubbish and I was very dubious about the whole "spooky house" idea (think haunted house). As I love Anne Bishop and her other Black Jewels books, of course I wasn't going to not read it though! I am definitely glad that I did. It was much better then I was expecting. Very dark and brutal in places and I really enjoyed spending more time with Surreal. Lucivar also gets a great role, especially near the end of the novel where he matches his skill in fighting against the enemies skill in writing and logic.

I hope there are more in the series. I can't get enough of this realm where the poles are reversed, woman have mroe power and Hell is a pleasant way to spend your afterlife. I eagerly await to read what will happen next and it would be great to see what a child Daemon and Jeanelle would be like. Just think, Saetan as a grandfather!

5 comments:

Marg said...

I really should hurry up and read this book! I got it when it first came out!

Literary Feline said...

Why haven't I heard of this one? Why don't I have a copy? If it wasn't so late, I'd run out and get it right now. I love Anne Bishop's Black Jewel series.

Great review!

Bobbi said...

I had never heard of this book or the Anne Bishop Black Jewel series, but it sounds right up my alley. I'm definitely going to check them out!

Nice review - Thanks!

Nymeth said...

I'm glad this one turned out to be good! I've decided to make September Chunkster month, so hopefully I'll finally get to the original trilogy then!

Melody said...

Ooh, I've been waiting for this book but just haven't got around to buying it yet! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :)