Tuesday, July 08, 2008


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 436
Number in Series : #1 Camelot Series
Reason for Reading : Arthurian Challenge

The Lady Rhian is 19, beautiful, wise and wishes to marry, but her father turns away all of her suitors despite their merits offering no explanation to his wife and daughter. Asa last straw he sends away a childhood friend of Rhian's and her mother is determined to learn the truth and for Rhian to place herself in a position to hear it too. It emerges that before Rhian was born her father made a deal with a sorcerer named Eubaracan from the East. In xchange for using his magic to save his wifes life, he agrees to willing give him his first born child. He accepts thinking he will have many children and when his wife seems suddenly recovered he is devastated they seem to only be able to have one child that lives, Rhian.

Hearing the news she runs away with the intention of joining a convent, but the sorcerer means to claim her. Saying a prayer to Mother Mary she is saved by a dashing knight who turns out to be Arthur's nephew and heir, Lord Gawain. He is on his way back to Camelot to tell the King of the Saxon plans to rise up against him and declare war and he takes her with him to gain the protection of the King and Queen.

The road to Camelot is not easy, the two have a second enemy to outsmart. Witch Kerra knows no family anymore besides Morgaine who taught her the magic she knows. She is a temptress and uses her magics to ensnare men and bind them to her will. The Green Man also has an interest in Rhian and later Gawain and he comes to challenge them as the Green Knight in the famous tale. A whole host of other famous characters from the tale are introduced like Merlin, Kai, Agravain, Lancelot etc and I am interested to see which characters the next book in the series follows.

I really enjoyed this book a lot. It has everything I love in a novel. Love, passion, temptation, loyalty as well as fantasy and mythology. The characters are all very christian, yet there is much magic and folk tale lore as well as talk of Old Gods so it wasn't too moral. Definitely a great start to the series and I can't wait to get started on book two, Camelot's Honour.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

There you go again, adding to my TBR list. I have a feeling I better just add the second one to the list as well. :)

Andi said...

I haven't heard of this one, but I love anything even remotely Arthurian. I'll see if I can mooch this one!

Robin said...

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds really good, and I'm sure I'd like it since I love anything to do with King Arthur and Camelot.

Rhinoa said...

Jackie - I aim to make everyones TBR list as long as mine...! There are actually four in the series: Camelot's Shadow (In Camelot's Shadow), Camelot's Honour (For Camelot's Honor), Camelot's Sword (Under Camelot's Banner) and Camelot's Blood.

Andi - I hope you can find a copy. I am a big fan of Arthurian myths and tales and hope you enjoy this as much as I did if you locate it.

Robin - See the above comment to Andi!

Nymeth said...

One more series for my wish list. It sounds like something I'd love.

margotreehugger said...

I really enjoyed this book too.