Monday, July 07, 2008

Book Meme

Alice tagged me over at Hello my name is Alice last week and I completely forgot I said I would do it! The weekend was a bit of a blur spent mostly being addicted to Final Fantasy My Life as a King which you can play only by downloading it from the wii. It's fun and instead of being the adventurer you stay behind in the villiage as the young King and try to rebuild it. It's sort of like a Final Fantasy version of The Sims or parts of a great RPG that came out on the PS2 called Dark Chronicle. Anyway enough of that...

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
The joke has always been that I was born with a book in my hand. Since a very young age I have loved reading. I remember locking myself in the bathroom (the only room that locked) so I could read in peace. I spent whole days reading whenever I could and used to pinch my mums books when I ran out of my own. I am not sure how it started, it feels like it was just always there. My mum is an english teacher and always had books around the house. She used to tell me and my sister stories, especially the Greek myths and King Arthur tales, from her memory of them which probably helped and started my love of mythology.

What are some books you read as a child?
I used to love Enid Blyton, particaulrly The Faraway Tree books. Also I first read The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien when I was quite young as well as the Brian Jacques books set in Redwall and Robin Jarvis' Deptford Mice series. Oh and the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend were good fun growing up as well.

What is your favorite genre?
I guess it would have to be Fantasy and Teenage Fiction/Young Adult. I don't read a lot of high fantasy stuff as it tends to have too many Tolkien parallels, but I do enjoy books that have fairy tale and mythology themes.

Do you have a favorite novel?
So many! My favourite novel so far this year is possibly American Gods by Neil Gaiman (the first book I read in 2008!), but who knows by the end of the year as I have so many great books on my list to read soon.

Where do you usually read?
Anywhere except the bath (I dropped a book once, never again!). I think I get a lot more reading done on the train/bus than when I am at home as there are too many other distractions. My cats, husband, television and computer games are all vying for my attention and it is hard to concentrate sometimes.

When do you usually read?
Whenever I can but usually in the evenings is when I get most of my reading done.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
I used to only read one book at a time, then two and now I can read up to three as long as they are different types of book. So maybe one non-fiction, one library book for my reading group and a fantasy novel. It helps to keep the stories seperate if they are different genres.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
I don't think so. I have to be in the right mood though to read non-fiction. I tend to read it in smaller chunks unless it is a biography and make notes if it is something like a book on the tarot so I need to be in a position I can write in. Other than that no difference.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I mostly buy all of my books. I have started using the library more, but I have so many here I want to read I am trying to only take out one book a month for my reading group and maybe a graphic novel until I have cleared more of my home reading.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
Yes I keep nearly all of them. I love having a house full of books. A house tells a lot about a person and I like giving the impression that I am a book worm when people visit. A house without books is a house and not a home!

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
I don't have children, but I hope to pass on my love of reading when I do. My husband loves to read as well so they will get a double dose of it.

What are you reading now?
Camelot's Shadow - Sarah Zettel (a book set in the time of King Arthur following Lady Rhian and Sir Gawain)
The House at Riverton - Kate Morton (a mystery I am reading for my library book group)
The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanne Clarke (a book of short stories I started yesterday)
Tarot for Self Discovery - Nina Lee Braden (a book on the tarot I am very slowly making my way though)

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Sort of. I keep track of what I haven't read on LibraryThing, but I do want to make a hand written copy as I get a great feeling of satisfaction physically ticking books off a list!

What’s next?
Trying to catch up with some June reads I didn't have time for although I think I will be behind again this month sadly. Other than that I have a couple of graphic novels planned (Fables 3 and 4 hopefully) and some urban fantasy series to start.

What books would you like to reread?
I have been saying for ages I want to re-read Anne Rice's complete back catalogue again. I love her books and read most of them back to back which I hope to find time to do again in the future. I would also love to re-read The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop.

Who are your favorite authors?
Currently: Anne Rice, Anne Bishop, Charles de Lint, Nick Hornby and Margaret Atwood. I also love JRR Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Jane Yolen, Shannon Hale, Gregory Maguire, Philip Pullman etc. The list goes on and on!

I would like to tag Darla D at Books and Other Thoughts, Mariel at Where Troubles Melt like Lemon Drops and Susan at You Can Never Have Too Many Books

6 comments:

mariel said...

I loved Redwall and the Deptford Mice when I was a kid. Probably why I still read fantasy fiction now!

Thanks for the tag, I'll do it when I'm back unless I have time while I'm away!

Melody said...

I'm hoping to read American Gods soon! I've been hearing so much raves on it!

I'm awed that you're able to read more than two books at a time! But I agree it does help when they're of the different genres so as to avoid confusion.

jehara said...

i finally started a handwritten tbr list earlier this year and it is definitely satisfying scratching them off.
i dropped a book in the bath once too, but it was a library book.

Darla D said...

Thanks for the tag, Rhinoa - this looks like fun!

Alice Teh said...

Thanks for playing, Rhinoa! I was nicknamed bookworm and loneranger by my parents and schoolmates. I was proud of it though. :)

Nymeth said...

"A house without books is a house and not a home!"

Same here! And your children will be little bookworms for sure :)

Like you I can't remember when I developed a love for reading. It's something that's always been a part of me. At least that's how it feels.