Saturday, June 28, 2008


Hosted at a special blog by 3M here the challenge ran from 1/7/07 to 30/6/08. The aim was to read at least 12 books that have won awards in the time allotted. I originally picked 17 and finished up reading 25!

1. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville (Arthur C Clarke Award)
2. Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson (Arthur C Clarke Award)
3. Iron Council - China Mieville (Arthur C Clarke Award)
4. Life of Pi - Yann Martel (Man Booker Prize)
8. American Gods - Neil Gaiman (Bram Stoker Award and Hugo Award)
9. Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynne Truss (British Book Prize)
10. Wild Swans - Jung Chang (British Book Prize)
11. Beowolf - Seamus Heany (Costa/Whitbread Prize)
13. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanne Clarke (Hugo and World Fantasy Award)
14. On Beauty - Zadie Smith (Orange Prize)
15. Beloved - Toni Morrison (Pulitzer Prize)
16. Perfume - Patrick Suskind (World Fantasy Award)
19. Number the Stars - Lois Lowry (Newberry Medal)
20. The Giver - Lois Lowry (Newberry Medal)
23. Small Island - Andrea Levy (Whitbread Prize and Orange Prize)
25. The Accidental - Ali Smith (Whitbread)

My favourite book was I think American Gods by Neil Gaiman, but I really enjoyed most of them. My least favourite was Small Island by Andrea Levy which was ok not not great. I really enjoyed this challenge as I tend not to read much regular fiction mostly sticking to fantasy and YA so it was lovely to break out of my box.

6 comments:

Trish said...

Wow 25 books! Congrats on finishing the challenge--and doing such a fantastic job! I recently picked up American Gods and look foward to reading it.

Kevin James Parker said...

Excellent effort,

I really like the way that your reading list consisted of such a gorgeous range of mixed genres. Many of us neglect to explore genres outside one or two types and miss out on some wonderful books as a result.

My own obsession with book awards has lead from a desire to a post a small web site with details of award winners etc to now publishing literary award sites in the UK , USA & Australia! I now cover 60 awards in detail and have compiled a directory of over 250- when will it all end......

I have read about half the books on your list but haven't got to American Gods yet; on the strength of your enjoyment I will hunt it down.

Your in literary revery and in respect of your achievement

Kevin Parker aka Award Tragic
Publisher www.literaryawards.co.uk
www.bookawardsonline.com
www.literaryawards.com.au

Nymeth said...

Congratulations on finishing! I felt the same way about this challenge. I tend to get lost in my little world of fantasy, and this was a good way for me to branch out and read some more "conventional" fiction.

Melody said...

Congrats on completing the challenge, Rhinoa! That's a lot of books you've read! :)

Alice Teh said...

Congrats on the completion waaaay above target. :D

I have Perdido Station in my TBR, and have read To Kill A Mockingbird and On Beauty.

tanabata said...

Congrats on completing the challenge. You read a nice selection of books.