Monday, May 26, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 176
Reason for Reading : Irressitible Review Challenge - Recommended by Nymeth Things Mean a Lot and Kim Bold Blue Adventure as wlel as on Chris Stuff as Dreams are Made On's wishlist

The beautifully sad tale of three sisters told as a visual novel, a story told in pictures. The youngest sister Bettine is blond and thought of as the prettiest, the eldest sister Ophile has blue hair and is the smartest, Clothilde is the middle sister with red hair and is the talented sister of the three. They live in a house by the sea away from the town, near the lighthouse. Each sisters life is changed in different ways when one night there is a storm and the lighthouse keeper is struck by lightening.

Sibling rivallry, mistaken identity, love, magic and a blue boy who can fly. Stunning pictures tell the tale with very few words. I think Clothilde was my favourite of the sisters as a lot of the pictures of her caught my imaginiation and attention. There are some of her with a headache, her communicating with an unborn baby, naming things in the world and practising her levitation that stood out in particular. It took the author (she also wrote The Time Travellers Wife) 13 years to create the pictures using aquatints after the project began as an artbook. I am sp glad she took the time and I was fascinated reading the afterwood.

I don't want to say much more here as I think the story speaks for itself. It is a short read and is well worth it. Definitely something I hope to revisit soon. I will leave you with two pictures from the story.

10 comments:

Nymeth said...

It's a beautiful book, isn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Darla D said...

Wow, that book sounds very intriguing. I will be adding it to my list! Great job on an irresistible review of an irresistible review book!

heather (errantdreams) said...

Wow. It looks absolutely stunning. I must run off and add it to my wishlist this very moment. *dashes off*

Ladytink_534 said...

The art is well done and very attention-grabbing.

Trish said...

I have to admit that I was a little leery of this book when I saw it at the store and I didn't pick it up. I *loved* The Time Traveler's Wife. But after reading yours and Nymeth's review, I think I need to take another look.

Trish said...

I have to admit that I was a little leery of this book when I saw it at the store and I didn't pick it up. I *loved* The Time Traveler's Wife. But after reading yours and Nymeth's review, I think I need to take another look.

mariel said...

the birds stealing her hair was bonkers! loved the art work though...seeing a whole different side to ms niffenegger (yes, best name ever!).

Kim L said...

I loved this book! Your review makes me want to read this one again. I meant to before I returned it to the library, I just never did. But it was such an amazing story told with so few words.

Andi said...

I read this one in December after a long girls night filled with too much food and too many shots of vodka, but nonetheless, I enjoyed it very much. I need to re-read!

margotreehugger said...

I loved her Time Travelers Wife, so will definitely be on the look out for this one.