Sunday, May 04, 2008

Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 438
Number in Series : #7 Women of the Otherworld
Reason for Reading : Series Challenge

Spiritualist and supernatural necromancer Jaime Vegas takes center stage in this the seventh novel in the Women of the Otherworld series. She is participating in a television show called "Death of Innocence", where she and two other human mediums are going to try to contact the spirit of Marilyn Monroe. Upon arriving at the location in Brentwood, Jaime feels the pressure of ghosts trapped between our world and the next.

After some investigating with the help of sexy Alpha werewolf and half-demon ghost Eve, Jaime discovers the spirits belong to children. Humans are doing the unthinkable, sacrificing children to gain supernatural powers. Somehow it seems to be working against all the odds. They enlist the help of half-demon Hope who can sense and is drawn to chaos and try to track down the group responsible via an S&M magical society to murderous consequences.

Jaime is a light-hearted character, but this is a far from light-hearted book. The theme of child sacrifice and strong S&M with bondage will put some readers off. One thing that does distract from the more gruesome scenes is the blossoming relationship between Jaime and Jeremy. She has had a thing for him for the last 4 years and after it seeming like unrequited love things could be different. It was good to read references to lots of other main characters from previous books and see where they are up to with their lives and it will be good to learn more about Hope in future books. Overall, whilst I do enjoy dark books, this one left a lightly bitter taste if I am honest.

Other reviews:
The Written Word
The Movieholic & Biblophile's Blog
Reading Adventures

4 comments:

Melody said...

Thanks for the review, Rhinoa. I've this book in my pile... although I'm not sure when I'll read it after reading your review.

Clare said...

I'm a bit behind on this series still have Broken to read - though after reading your review don't think I will be in too much of a hurry!

Ladytink_534 said...

Yeah this one made my stomach hurt a bit. I liked it because it was part of the series (and who could hate Kelley Armstrong anyway?) but it was one of my least favorites.

Literary Feline said...

I really like Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series and am looking forward to reading this one. I appreciate the heads up on the darker aspects of the book--some things are good to know going in.