Saturday, May 31, 2008

Derren Brown - Stage Show

So last night we went to see Derren Brown doing his stage show. I don't know how famous is outside of the UK, but he basically manipulates the mind. In some places he would be called a magician, a hypnotist, a psychic. a medium, an NLP expert and in essence he is all of these and yet none. Probably the best thing to do is check out his official website here. He claims to have no psychic powers and be highly skeptical and freely admits that everything you see at his shows and on television are tricks, but I am damned if I can figure out how he does any of it! He did a mixture of techniques where he got people to pick numbers that he had previously "predicted" and written down in locked boxes or on a badge that he wore. He also quicker than you could blink changed into a gorilla costume and came out from the opposite side you were expecting! The most compelling part of the show was his take on the Victorian "Oracle Act" where he wrapped his face ina bandage and recieved "sendings" from the audience which enabled him to hear a question you had sent mentally, guess the question, the senders first name, their starsign and day of the week they were born on as well as give an answer to their question. Fascinating stuff.

I highly recommend watching him on YouTube if you his shows don't play where you are or going to see him live if he tours near you.



4 comments:

Kim L said...

I read a book once that talked about some of the techniques that people use to do mind-reading, etc, but to me, it still sounds like quite a talent! I can't imagine being able to do it.

Ladytink_534 said...

I love stuff like this but nope, I’ve never heard of him. He sounds interesting though. I’ll have to see if I can find any of his shows online.

Nymeth said...

I hadn't heard of him before I will check out some videos on youtube...sounds like an impressive show!

Caroline said...

Aaaah, my hero. If I could have a beer with anyone famous it would be him. He is totally amazing. Saw him live at The Lowry about three years ago (I was around 5mo pg, lol), totally took my breath away. I would *love* to see him live again.

Try and get hold of Tricks of the Mind, his book - have just finished it and it's well worth a read, very funny and lots of information about what he does and his ideas and opinions on the way the world works and how that makes some of his illusions/tricks/stunts possible.