Thursday, May 22, 2008

Candy Girl - Diablo Cody


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 212
Reason for Reading : Non-Fiction Five Challenge, I loved Juno (she wrote the screenplay) and was curious about her memoirs

Diablo's memoir is subtitled "A year in the life of an unlikely stripper". She had a relatively regular upbringing and at 24 meets her future husband Jonny on the interset. She moves to Minneapolis and gets a job in an office but feels something is missing from her life. Walking home one day she decides to enter into an ameateur night at a strip club. She doesn't win but decides to pursue stripping part time outside of her more acceptable job.

She finds it unbelivably easy to walk in off the street looking very inlike your traditional idea of a stripper and gain work. She works in a variety of strip clubs in the area doing a reasonable, but not outstanding, trade. She has paritcular problems with the pole at first. She discovers in time that her full time job is causing her stress and is very unfulfilling and decides to strip full time. She works in a peep show where she is seperated by the customer by a plate of clear plastic. She she masturbates for the customer with a variety of toys while the customer gets off. After she leaves that job she spends some time as a phone sex girl but is depressed by the number of callers wanting "Stephenie", her barely legal persona. She gets a great lap dance with her husband and decides to go back to stripping in clubs. Her time away has given her a fresh perspective and she is able to make a lot more money the second time around before eventually retiring and presumably becoming a screen writer.

Not for those who dislike bad language or explicit sexual scenes, but I have to say I loved it! I did a pole dancing course to try and get in shape (which I loved and I still need to figure out where to put a pole in our flat) and I did go to a couple of strip clubs to see it done professionally rather than to get fit. It is funny the differences between the different types and I even paid for my own private fully nude lap dance (very cool). I have considered trying out as a stripper but my husband isn't comfortable with it and I respect that, plus I am not sure if I could actually do it.

The tale is told with her witty humour and a lot of laugh out loud places. She makes no excuses, gives no explanations or justifications which I found very refreshing. To get a feel of her writing style this is one of my favourite quotes about the first time she started at a new club:

"The main stage was ringed by a tip rail that could accommodate at least twenty. Above the stage was a glass-floored second stage, which allowed customers to look up watch another girl dancing overhead. This multidimensional display of poontang reminded me of the 3-D chessboard on StarTrek, which is turn reminded me that I was a huge nerd."

Also reviewed at : Bold Blue Adventure

8 comments:

Nymeth said...

Juno proves beyond doubt that she can writer and has a great sense of humour, and that alone makes me want to read this book. It sounds unusual but very cool.

Stephanie said...

I'm SO going to have to read this!! Juno was a fantastic movie, and I think the memoir sounds great.

Thanks for the review!

Alice Teh said...

Wow, if only I have the guts to even try pole dancing... If the church finds out I'm even thinking about it, I think I'll be 'shot'.

Jaimie said...

A pole dance course to get in shape must have been a hoot! I've only heard of belly dancing which I wanted to try but my daughters of all people shot the idea down. The image probably frightened them!

Ladytink_534 said...

This sort of reminds me of Nancy Bartholomew’s Strip series which I loved!

M said...

ha. i think i would enjoy this book. i totally got the quote about star trek 3-D chess!

Kim L said...

Diablo Cody is certainly a talented and unusual writer. I'm glad you liked this one. I had mixed feelings about it, although ultimately I'm glad I read it.

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I think you would enjoy this, it's quite off the wall. I have Juno on preorder and I think it's out next week.

Stephanie - I hope you get around to it and enjoy it as much as I did.

Alice - Nothing wrong with a bit of harmless pole dancing, a grat way to get in shape and you just do it in shorts and a t shirt so nothing for the church to worry about.

Jaimie - It was so much fun and I highly recommend it. I have a few friends who belly dancy, but I just can't get the hang of it sadly.

Tink - Thanks for the suggestion, I will look out for that series. Is it fiction of non-fiction?

M - It is a lot of fun I hope you get a copy.

Kim - I knew I had read a review somewhere before I piked this up, thanks for reminding me it was yours. I have added a link to your post.