Thursday, May 29, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

What is Reading, Fundamentally?

Suggested by: Thisisnotabookclub
What is reading, anyway? Novels, comics, graphic novels, manga, e-books, audiobooks — which of these is reading these days? Are they all reading? Only some of them? What are your personal qualifications for something to be “reading” — why? If something isn’t reading, why not? Does it matter? Does it impact your desire to sample a source if you find out a premise you liked the sound of is in a format you don’t consider to be reading? Share your personal definition of reading, and how you came to have that stance.
(Two weeks late for Reading is Fundamental week, but, well…)

For me reading is all of the above. Novels definitely. I have been reading graphic novels for a few years now but have got more into it over the last two years. Manga is another genre I started reading for the most part this year and I am enjoying a couple of great series (Death Note and Bizenghast) currently plus whatever else takes my fancy. I haven't yet listened to an audibook so it is hard to say if it is reading, but I don't see why not. You are still absorbing the book as it was written so why not. It does annoy me when people look down on media such as graphic novels, comics and manga as not being reading. It isn't classic fiction, but there are some great series out there that really make you think. My husband still insists that Watchmen by Alan Moore is one of the best books he has ever read and that is a graphic novel.

My stance is if you read it then it's reading! Also if it is read to you that counts as reading too. When you are young you get a bedtime story, often read from a book, and if that counts then surely audibooks do too.

The photo above is a bit dark but it is Alex (my husband) sleeping on the sofa with Morgaine sleeping on his belly. You can make out her white paw and find the rest of her from there!

9 comments:

Melody said...

I so agree with you about the graphic novels, Rhinoa! I know some readers don't consider them as reading, but to me they are also a form of storytelling but just in another format.

gautami tripathy said...

I think I am gonna read Manga! I just found out what it is!

Here is my say!

Jaimie said...

My thoughts exactly! There is no right or wrong way to read, whatever is out there that you like, go for it!

Nymeth said...

I agree with you. It's all reading. I can't even begin to understand why someone wouldn't consider reading a graphic novel to be reading.

Chris said...

I'm pretty opened minded about it.

pussreboots said...

I didn't count audiobooks as reading because the few I've listened to I didn't pay attention enough to feel like I'd followed the story. Happy BTT.

M said...

ha! i didn't see the kitty until you pointed her out. she is a cutie.

Literary Feline said...

I tend to take a wide view of reading also. I have my personal references for certain formats or types over others, but that doesn't mean I don't consider those I might not care for to be reading.

I tend to get prickly when people suggest that reading comics and graphic novels is not really reading or it's a lesser form of reading. I do not read them very often, but my husband does.

Alice Teh said...

Hi Rhinoa, I consider all those as reading. I think they're just 'jealous' that we're so flexible with our choices. LOL.

I definitely see Morgaine there. :D