Thursday, May 08, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Manual Labor

Writing guides, grammar books, punctuation how-tos . . . do you read them? Not read them? How many writing books, grammar books, dictionaries–if any–do you have in your library?

To be honest I think the only book in this category that I have read is "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss which is the "Zero tolerance approach to punctuation". I read it in 2007 and reviews it on my blog. It was an interesting read, but nothing life changing. I think I have a small pocket dictionary and thesaurus, I just sorted out my books finally and can picture them in the new home. I have had them since I was about 10 but don't really use them. I am not massively fond of reading writing guides, I just read stories and write what I want to! My mum is an English teacher (and my sister is not far off qualifying too), so I can always get her to check something if it's absolutely neccessary. She was a great help during my final year at university when I did a project on science writing for non-scientists, but that was more to see if I was pitching what I was writing about at the right level. My dad has also proof read things for me more recently.

The photo above is of Morgaine (I miss my chair, it's already covered in cat hair grr). She was sleeping in the strangest position on her back so I snapped a photo on my phone. I have no idea how she managed to find this comfortable, but such is the flexibility of cats...

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Lol at the photo of your cat! Strange, but very cute. =)

I meant to read Eats, Shoots & Leaves but never got around to it...

Melody said...

I've came across a few answers that mentioned "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" and it has certainly piqued my curiosity! I've to check this out.

I find Morgaine's sleeping position so cute! :)

gautami tripathy said...

Eats, Shoots & Leaves is with me for God knows how long. I simply do not have the inclination to pick it up! Maybe I should!

I like the photo!

My BTT post!

Barbara H. said...

I use mostly online sources, but nothing beats a real human proofreader. I keep hearing about that book -- I should try it out.

Cute kitty! That looks uncomfortable to me, but she looks comfy.

Trish said...

I LOVE your cat! My cat is getting to the point where she doesn't do anything cute or sweet anymore (well, she is cute and sweet by herself but no curious poses). We did have fun with the laser pointer the other day, though. :) I've heard a lot about Eat, Shoots and Leaves, but haven't read it. I do have a few others on my shelf, but I haven't consulted any in a while. University of Purdue's Writing Lab has a great online resource that I look at occassionally.

Megan said...

Everyone seems to be talking about Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I need to make a point to track this book down.

My cat is mad at me right now because he wants to be laying ON my keyboard but I don't want him laying ON my keyboard. I want to be able to type to you!

Jaimie said...

We also have a copy of that book as well as others collected over the years. To be honest, I don't look at them that much.
I always enjoy your cat pictures!

Nymeth said...

Science writing for non-scientists, that sounds like a very cool project.

And lovely picture as always. Cats really are amazingly flexible. Sometimes 3 of mine climb into the same basket (the fourth thinks he's a person and refuses to socialize with other cats) and go to sleep in a heap...I always get afraid that the bottom one will suffocate but if I move them they return to the same position!

Kim L said...

That is amazing that your cat can sleep like that! Wow.

I'm with you. I have a few reference books, but I really don't bother with them very much.

Literary Feline said...

My dog often sleeps in that position and occasionally my cat. It's amazing the way they can twist their bodies around sometimes and be comfortable enough to sleep like that. :-)

I am not especially drawn to writing guides either. I may use a reference tool when necessary, but if I am writing, I tend to write what's on my mind.

tanabata said...

Morgaine is adorable! Bailey often sleeps like that too. We're always wondering how he can be comfortable in that position.

Darla D said...

I am such a total geek - I love books about grammar and and writing in general, especially fun ones like Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Richard Lederer has some great ones, mainly hilarious collections of misused English (Get Thee to a Punnery and Anguished English come to mind). Bill Walsh's Lapsing into a Comma is useful and very, very funny.

I used to be a copy editor for a local newspaper, and I have a ton of books like Strunk and White and the Chicago Manual of Style that I used a lot. English is a fun language to play with! And I totally identify with Truss's annoyance with superfluous commas, etc. I erased one from a white board at a restaurant the other day, teehee. :-)

Alice Teh said...

I've read Eats, Shoots and Leaves and that is a funny, funny book. I've also read Strunk and White's Element of Style and loved that one too. So yeah, I do read stuff like that...

Morgaine never fail to amaze me. So flexible...