Thursday, May 01, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Mayday!

Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??
And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….

Well that's easy, I go to the book shop at the airport and buy myself another book! At the UK airports there are always a WHSmith and Books Etc selling books plus they have new hardbacks out in paperback as they are lighter to carry on the plane. I have my wallet so should be fine to pay for one. At the very least there would be some newspapers hanging around to read. I can't sit around for any length of time without a book to read, it's some kind of strange torture for me.

The photo at the top is Merlin this week. He is always walking up to you and then falling on his back exposing his belly and looking at you to give him attention. I think he is species confused mistaking himself for a dog as unlike many cats he loves it when you reach over and play with his tummy.

19 comments:

The Holistic Knitter said...

Love Merlin!
Like you, I can't sit around without something to read.

Melody said...

Me too! I'm sure most airports will have one bookstore so no problem with that. Otherwise, I'll just walk around and see things, hoping this will help to pass the time.

I grinned when reading about Merlin's behavior. So cute!

Maree said...

Great expression on the cat's face! I'd be distracted at the airport.

Chris said...

I have a hard time sitting with nothing to read. Merlin's so cute!

Marg said...

I would inevitably end up buying something to read as well. Can't imagine anything but that happening!

jlshall said...

Yes, being bookless is strange torture indeed - that's a wonderful description. And I really wish we had WHSmiths in the US - they always seem to have a much better selection of books than the airport shops in this country.

Amy said...

I hate being bookless. That's why I usually take care to have something with me.

We have a cat that we call species-confused too. I swear he thinks he is a dog. His name is Twister because is always twisting and looking for attention.

Merlin is adorable. Happy BTT!

Bibliolatrist said...

Hey there! I found you via Dewey's Weekly Geeks challenge, and I'm really enjoying your site! Nice to meet you!

gautami tripathy said...

At airports, I mostly buy chocolates! Books, I have one at any given point of time. Or my journal where I write poetry!

Here is my BTT post!

Literary Feline said...

Imagine the days before airports had bookshops. Like you, a bookstore at the airport is a must stop for me if I don't have a book handy.

teabird said...

An airport without a bookshop would be a torture chamber!

(Merlin has the most scratchable belly!)

Nymeth said...

lol, species confused :D One of my cats is like that too. He loves having his belly scratches. The only thing he doesn't do is wag his tail, in all other aspects he's very dog-like indeed.

DM said...

I've read that showing the tummy is the very highest of cat love. so, Merlin must be a very good boy. I have two tabby females, both very high strung.

I agree it's very hard to be stuck someplace with nothing to read.

Donna
http://awty.blogspot.com

pussreboots said...

Most major American airports are the same way -- though with different chains. Happy BTT.

Robin said...

Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats so can't have one of my own, but I am so enjoying getting to know Merlin through your blog!

Jaimie said...

I always love your kitty pictures!
Thank goodness there is always a bookstore closeby when you need one. But I would probably be on the phone the whole time.

Kim L said...

Again what a cute picture! Part dog, eh?

And I totally agree with you. I would buy a book. But I do have other activities, such as pacing the airport and using the moving walkway.

kat said...

Looks like we all would try and buy something to read. Although I do like to people watch. :D

Alice Teh said...

I'm a fan of Merlin already...