Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Addicted? Me?

OK so I am completely giving up on pretending I am not going to sign up for any more challenges. I doubt I will get everything read, but you never know it will certainly be fun trying!


First is the Non-Fiction Five Challenge hosted by Joy origianlly posted here which I have been meaning to join for a bit now. Annoyingly I just read 2 non-fiction books but nevermind. It runs between May and September 2008 and you simply pick 5 non-fiction books to read in that time. You must pick at least one book that is a different genre from the rest eg one self help and four biographies. My list is:

1. Candy Girl - Diablo Cody
2. Tarot for Self Discovery - Nina Lee Braden
3. Tarot Tips - Ruth Ann Amberstone
4. Understanding the Tarot Court - Mary K Greer
5. Piece by Piece - Tori Amos

Alternative : Ogham - Paul Rhys Mountfort

Next is The End of the World Challenge hosted at Becky's Books with the details here and the aim is to read 3 books about the end of the world essentially between May and September 15th 2008. This includes both apocalyptic fiction and post-apocalyptic fiction as well as dystopian. My list is:

1. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
2. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
3. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Alternative: Do Anderoids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick

Next is Darla's Irresistible Review Challenge posted about here. It runs between May and September 1st 2008 and the guidelines are below.

1. Read 8 books between now and Labor Day (September 1st) that you were inspired to read after reading a fellow book-blogger's review. Ideally the books will be ones you'd never heard of or would probably not have considered reading had it not been for the review. If you expanded your horizons or went beyond your usual reading comfort zone because of the review, all the better!
2. Write a review of the book on your blog.
3. (The most important step) Make sure you link to the review that inspired you to read the book in the first place!
4. Books read for other challenges count.
5. There is no need to make a list ahead of time - for this type of challenge, it's probably best to remain open to serendipity in the bookblogosphere!

I have a tentative list but I need to check where I first saw reviews. I am trying not to buy more books so have picked books I previosuly bought after reading reviews. If you have reviewed any of these please let me know!

  • Sleeping with the Fishes - MaryJanice Davidson (Marg at Reading Adventures I think)
  • The Percy Jackson Series - Rick Riordan (Becky's Book Reviews possibly)
  • Zel - Donna Jo Napoli (people from the Twisted Fairy Tales Challenge)
  • The Three Incestuous Sisters - Audrey Niffenegger (I think Nymeth Things Mean a Lot, Chris Stuff as Dreams are Made On)
  • Click - Various (I know Nymeth Things Mean a Lot reviewed this and there was someone else recently who I will track down)
  • I Was a Rat/Clockwork - Philip Pullman (Nymeth Things Mean a Lot and Chris Stuff as Dreams are Made On)
  • The Book of Ballads - Charles Vess (Chris Stuff as Dreams are Made On)

Hmm interesting, I now know who to send my credit card bills to Nymeth and Chris...

Lastly I have decided to join the Classics Challenge even though I said I wasn't going to... Details are at the blog here and I will do the Classics Meme soon I promise, I just have so much to catch up on blog wise at the moment... The aim is to read 5 classics between July and December 2008. There is also the option of picking a 6th book you think should be a classic which I will give some though. My tentative list is:

1. The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
2. The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
3. Middlemarch - George Elliot
4. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5. The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories - Leo Tolstoy

9 comments:

Becky said...

I'm happy you're joining the End of the World challenge. Yes, the Percy Jackson books are from me :)

Trish said...

Ha ha ha! I've joined I think 4 challenges in the past few days (I don't even think that includes mine!!). I'm excited you'll be joining us with the classics--even though you said you wouldn't. ;) If you have a bonus book to suggest, I'd love to hear it! And quite a diverse list!!

I can't wait to read your review on Tori Amos' book--I didn't know she had one! I love her music but haven't listened to much of her more recent stuff (Little Earthquakes I believe is my favorite--but then again, maybe not--I can't choose!).

Trish said...

Hey Rhinoa - I noticed that you linked this list to the meme Mister Linky. I've taken it off for now, but if you decide to do the meme (and i hope you do!), feel free to link back. I'll have the sign-ups posted in a few weeks (probably next week??), so link this list back then. Sorry for the confusion (and me being a pain in the ass). ;)

Kim L said...

Nice. That is quite a number of challenges! I reviewed The Three Incestuous Sisters too here

I think I need to join the classics challenge

Darla D said...

Ha! I think Chris and Nymeth share a big role in my reading habits too (and you do, too!). I'm glad you joined - and I'm impressed that you were able to come up with a list so quickly. I don't even have a list yet! :-)

Chris said...

I actually haven't read The Three Incestuous Sisters yet but I've mentioned my coveting it quite a few times! I've flipped through it quite a few times and it looks incredible. Loved the Time Traveler's Wife though...And I'm in the middle of The Book of Ballads right now...it's great! You'll love I was a Rat! It's a great little book :) And for the record...if you send me your credit card bill, I'll just send you mine back ;)

Nymeth said...

lol at what Chris said :P If I were to do Darla's challenge, at least half of my list would be recommendations of yours, so there :P

You're reading Piece by Piece! I've wanted to read that one ever since it came out and I look forward to your thoughts.

All these challenges are great, but I'm really beginning to feel the pressure of having joined so many this year, so I'm trying to resist. Except for the Classics challenge because I can overlap, aka cheat.

Rhinoa said...

Becky - Thanks it's hard to keep track sometimes of who reviewed what. I am looking forward to starting your new challenge and I need to get started on the Arthurian one too.

Trish - No problem, I will do the meme soon and comment on the blog when I decide on my new classic.

Kim - Ah I knew someone besides Nymeth had reviewed it thanks for that. Yeah go join the classics challenge!

Darla - I know I have lots of books that I saw recommended on your blog, I need to go and look back through it properly. My list is very temporary and I have made a stack of books I am considering reading for it which I hope to fit inbetween other challenge books.

Chris - Yeah The Time Travellers Wife is great. Maybe when I read it and review it I will finally inspire you to buy a copy :) I know you mentioning the Charles Vess book was what made me buy it, you must have just bought it or something as I know I left you a comment about it.

Nymeth - Yes I have had Piece by Piecec since it came out in Japan about 3 years ago. My sister read it and then gave it to me and I just never got around to it. I decided joining challenges was a great way to read through the millions of books I already own and have wanted to read for ages so although I have signed up to far too many, at least I am making a significan dent in my TBR shelves...

Joy said...

Hi Rhinoa! I thought I left a message the last time I was here...? Anyway, Welcome to the Non-Fiction Five Challenge! I'm happy to see that you are participating with us! :) Happy Reading!