Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Slam - Nick Hornby

Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 293
Reason for Reading : Nick Hornby is one of my favourite writers and I rushed out to get his new paperback

Sam is 15. Life is going well at the moment. His skating is taking off and he is learning some new tricks (although he is very quick to point out it is skateboarding and nothing to do with ice), plus he is seeing the beautiful and cool Alicia. His idol is skater Tony Hawk (TH from now on) and he has a poster of him on his bedroom wall. Now not to be too strange, Sam talks to his poster and TH talks back. It's not quite what you think, Sam has read "Hawk - Occupation: Skateboarder" like a thousand times and TH always answers in quotes from his book appropriate to the situation.

Things start to change, Sam starts to get bored of Alicia after spending too much time with her and breaks up by her in the usual bloke style of ignoring her messages and calls. On his 16th birthday he gets an urgent text from her and he has a niggling feeling that he knows what it is. Whilst sleeping with Alicia one night an accident happens and she finds herself pregnant. At first Sam runs away to Hastings and then thinks surely having a baby can't be as bad as trying to live in Hastings and look after an old mean man. He goes home and has to face the music. TH helps out in the only way he can by whizzing Sam forwards a year where he meets him son and finds himself living in Alicia's parents house in her bedroom. He wakes up in the morning back in his own bed and continues life in a linear pattern for the most part.

Told with the usual Hornby wit and humour, this was an interesting and honest look at teenage pregnancy. The trials, the expectations and the hardships. It was even more interesting being written from the father-to-be's perspective which is often overlooked. It is his first book aimed at teenagers and I hope it isn't his last.

3 comments:

Trish said...

I just saw this last night at Target and wondered about it. I've only read one book by him, but I know that I will like his others (pretty confident huh?) :) Sounds like a very interesting point of view.

Nymeth said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this one. It sounds excellent.

Chris said...

This one sounds really good Rhinoa...I think I'm going to read it! You know I haven't read any Hornby since About a Boy first came out in paperback! Horrible isn't it...I really enjoyed About a Boy too...