Wednesday, April 02, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 275
Number in Series : #2 Official sequel to Peter Pan by JM Barrie
Reason for Reading : Young Adult Challenge, Twisted Fairy Tales Challenge, Once Upon a Time II Challenge, to see what happens next in Neverland!

The Lost Boys have been adopted by the Darlings and are now 30 with families of their own when dreams of Neverland start to leak through leaving physical remains like cutlesses, arrows and bubbles. Wendy gathers the boys/men together to find a way to return to Neverland. The boys are unable to find any fairies in Kensington Gardens for fairy dust so Wendy helps them by getting a baby to have it's first laugh and give birth to Fireflyer.

They fly back to Neverland as children after finding out from Fireflyer that they can wear their children's clothes and reverse the aging process. Everyone knows that when you play dress up, you become what you are dressed up as so the adults steal some of their children's clothes. Nibs stays behind as he doesn't want to leave his children, Tootles only has daughters and becomes a girl really missing his moustache and Slightly is a widower with no children. He finds another way by going right to the end of the bed.

Everything has changed in Neverland. It has moved on from eternal summer to autumn and everything is scarlet including Peter Pan's tunic. He seems to have no knowledge of where Tinkerbell is and there are no longer any Lost Boys as he bannished them for breaking the rule and growing up. The mermaids are dead and there is a mysterious travelling man called Ravello who seems to be clothed in unravelling wool.

It was a lovely sequel and like JM Barrie's origianl all the proceeds from the books sale go to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. There were some lovely little touches and lots of original characters showed up along the way. Charming and it left room for another book to follow some day in the future.

12 comments:

Becky said...

I enjoyed this one as well. Have you read the three prequels by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson? I really enjoyed those.

Andi said...

Way cool! And that has to be one of the most fantastic covers I've seen in a while. I'm transfixed!

Rhinoa said...

Becky - I didn't know about those books so thanks lots!

Andi - I know it's so bright and the dagger has a green gleam at the end which offsets the reds and oranges.

Nymeth said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the review.

Jackie said...

I have not heard of this novel and I love Peter Pan. I'll have to add this to my TBR list.

Ladytink_534 said...

I can't wait to read this!

Chris said...

I can't wait to read this one...it's been on my TBR list ever since I heard that it was being written...you think I would've read it by now :p Barrie's Peter Pan is one of my all time favorite books. Such a charming book and story and this one sounds like it captured that charm.

Carl V. said...

I love that they are doing that with the proceeds. That is so incredibly cool.

Rachael said...

Peter Pan is one of those stories I enjoy in almost any form. What a great use for the proceeds! I will definitely be searching this one out. Thanks!

Alice Teh said...

This is going into my to-buy list, Rhinoa! Thanks for the great review. Sounds really interesting. :)

PS: I see you've read over 50 books this year! Way to go!

Framed said...

I just finished Peter Pan and loved it. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. It's going on the list.

Rhinoa said...

Note to The Never Fairy - STOP POSTING ABOUT YOUR BOOK HERE, THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO ADVERTISE COVERTLY. ANY MORE COMMENTS WILL CONTINUE TO BE REMOVED>