Wednesday, April 30, 2008


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 200
Number in Series : #1 Death Note
Reason for Reading : TBR Challenge 2008, First in a Series Challenge, Once Upon a Time II Challenge, recommendation from a friend who says it is an awesome series!

The first in the Death Note manga series which is also an animated series and now an animated film. Light is a teenager in Japan and is top of his class at school as well as being a hit with the girls there. One day he finds the Death Note dropped by a Shinimami (death god) named Ryuk. It is a notebook and if a person's name is written in the Death Note they will die. Details of their death can be written in within a time limit such as time of death, events leading up to their death as well as method of death, and if it is left blank they will die of a heart attack. You need to know the persons name to be written in the book as well as what they look like. When writing their name you must hold an image of them in your mind so that no one else with the same name also dies.

Light decides to use the Death Note to purge the world of dangerous criminals reported in the news. He feels he is the righteous ruler of the world and is doing what is in the best interest of everyone. It will cut down crime when it is noticed what is happening as ciminals will be afraid they are next. The police forces the world over don't share his vision and recruit the mysterious L to help investigate Kira as Light has become known in the press (a messenger sent from hell who will not abide evil in the world). No one knows the real name or identiy of L so he is safe from Light's Death Note for now.

This was a great start to the series. There are lots of twists and turns and extra information about Ryuk and the Death Note along the way. Ryuk can only be seen by someone who has touched the Death Note so Lilght has to find a suitable hiding place for it which is genius. The Shinigami only works for himself and is not able to influence Light or L, but you do get the feeling he at least respects Light and is relieved he picked up the Death Note alieviating his boredom.

The interesting thing is I don't really agree with Light's use of the Death Note. Yes it is great to cut down on crime, but I don't agree with randomly killing criminials to do it. I find myself on the side of L at the moment (this may change later depending upon what is revealed about him), but I do appreciate Light's mind and intelligence. I am definitely looking forward to the second volume in the series.

4 comments:

Melody said...

I haven't read the series yet, but I did watch the first two movies (in Japanese with English subtitles) and it was great!!! I hope you'll watch them if you've the chance.

Nymeth said...

Someone review this one a while ago (was it Darla?) and I've been interested in it ever since. I don't agree with killing criminals either, but it sounds like a very good story regardless.

Rhinoa said...

Melody - I do want to see the series at some point but will read some more of the mangas first.

Nymeth - Yes I think Darla is reading this series as well. I am definitely going to fit some of the others in this year. I think you would like it, there are some interesting twists and turns to keep you guessing what Light and L will do next. It's drawn really well too.

tanabata said...

This is such a famous manga series. I haven't read it or seen any of the movies but you see it around everywhere. Maybe I should give it a try sometime. Very generally, it kind of reminds me of the show Dexter, which I also wasn't sure I'd like at first.