Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Carl's Book Week

Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings as well as hosting the Once Upon a Time II Challenge which I am loving, is also celebrating his own book week. Each day there are posts with art and atrists relating to books. If you comment on each post throughout the week you will be entered into a draw and if you show artwork related to the posts you are entered twice. Not sure what the prizes are yet but if they are to be judged by previous delights they should be pretty awesome!

In keeping with his theme for Day Two which made art out of books, I thought I would put up these photos I took at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London last year. I put one up at the time and found a second one on my phone still. I love the way they look but sadly am not sure who the artist is, I will try and visit again and see if they are still there. They are two photographs of books (one writing and the other music) which have had areas removed to be able to place necklaces inside them. I think they are a beautiful way to show off jewelry, but am not sure I could do it to a book I owned. It seems somehow sacreligious!




My husband has a hardback book we were given free at a festival that he cut a section out of. Inside he hid money and we used it to save money for our wedding singer and I put money in for my wedding dress so it wasn't spent my mistake.

4 comments:

Melody said...

I think they are beautiful and very creative! I don't think I'll do it to my books, but still I've to applaud the artists' for being original in their works! :)

Nymeth said...

I really like those. I wouldn't do it to a book myself either, but it is very creative.

jehara said...

those are beautiful books and the necklaces look wonderful. i agree, i couldn't do that to any of my books but the effect is beautiful.

Trish said...

Beautiful pictures--thanks for sharing. I'd love to know more about the exhibit--did they do this for art's sake or to hide jewelry for some reason? Hmmm...I could probably do this to some of my gigantic readers from college! Who needs a 1000+ page encyclopedia of poetics?