Thursday, April 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday



Springing

Well, here where I live, Spring is sprung–weeks early, even. Our lilac bush looks like it will have flowers by this time next week instead of in the middle of May as usual. The dogwood trees, the magnolia trees–all the flowering trees are flowering. The daffodils and crocuses are, if anything, starting to fade. It may only be April 24th but it is very definitely Spring and, allergies notwithstanding, I’m happy to welcome the change of season. What I want to know, is:
Do your reading habits change in the Spring? Do you read gardening books? Even if you don’t have a garden? More light fiction than during the Winter? Less? Travel books? Light paperbacks you can stick in a knapsack?
Or do you pretty much read the same kinds of things in the Spring as you do the rest of the year?

This is an interesting question and not something I have really thought about. I think my reading is usually pretty mixed throughout the year and I don't pay too much attention to the weather when looking for my next book. I am hoping to start growing my own herbs this year so I will probably get around to reading a couple of herbals as it is the right time of year to get going. Generally though the weather and season don't generally influence me reading wise. I always carry a shoulder bag for whatever book I am reading and even going on holiday I don't really take into account what I am reading based on where I am going and what the weather will be like.

The photo is of Morgaine hiding in a yellow bag. She was in it straight after my husband put it down on the floor with the comment "here you go Morgaine". I think she looks good in yellow, very spring like considering the nature of this post!

13 comments:

Melody said...

Me too. It's always my mood that will decide my choice of books to read next. Anyway, we don't have four seasons here so it doesn't really matter.

Happy BTT!

Maree said...

Okay - cutest cat picture ever! My reading isn't weather-dependent either. :)

Amy said...

I am a mood reader too but I guess my moods lead me to read lighter in the spring/summer because it feels more like a vacation.

mariel said...

great picture..you can even see morgaine fangs!

Kim L said...

Oh that is such a cute picture! Your cats are so adorable.

Yeah, my reading habits aren't really based on the weather either.

Darla D said...

Adorable pic!

The past few summers I've taken off from classes, so I pick a classic I've been meaning to read or reread and get to it at some point during the summer. Last summer I reread Bleak House, but I haven't decided on this summer's read yet!

pussreboots said...

Yellow is a lovely color on your cat. Happy BTT.

Nymeth said...

The seasons don't influence my reading much either.

That's such a lovely picture of Morgaine! She looks beautiful in yellow, it goes with her eyes.

Stephanie said...

I'm not much of a seasonal reader either. I generally tend to read whatever I want...whenever! It's usually based on mood rather than weahter.

Love the pic!

Happy Thursday!!

Trish said...

Yes, the yellow goes well with her eyes. ;) I don't think I really read based on the seasons or the weather but more on my general mood. Interesting question.

Susan said...

Cat is very cute....and over here, my reading choices DO change according to the seasons!! I tend to read more fantasy books in the winter months, and mysteries during the summer. I haven't figured it out why yet, but it's something I've known for a while. Part of the challenge for me with all the challenges I joined this year, was to see if i could deepen my reading - read more - and if any new tendencies came out. I'm very curious to see if I can maintain 5 books a month during the summer months,when I am in the garden much of my spare time. I know, 5 books isn't much compared to some of the book readers out there, but for me, considering I work full-time and am raising three kids (two of them very young), it's the best rate of reading I've had in a few years. I also read more gardening books in the summer. Thanks for the meme, Rhinoa!

Robin said...

What a fun photo! That's a face you just have to love!

My reading habits don't really change with the seasons, although I'm more likely to take on a chunkster in the summer...but that's just because I have more reading time in the summer. But I do take a book with me wherever I go. I just hate being caught somewhere, waiting, without a book to read!

Alice Teh said...

Hi Rhinoa! Hi to Morgaine too! :)

It's pretty much the same weather here where I stay, throughout the year. I read according to mood, but I'm consistent. Happy weekend!