Thursday, April 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Vocabulary

Suggested by Nithin:
I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?

To be honest I usually ignore words I don't understand and carry on reading. You can usually have a guess at what they mean depending on the sentence. If my husband is home I will ask him if he recognises it, but other than that I can't remember the last time I actively looked up the meaning of a word or made a note to ask about it later. I suppose that is quite a lazy thing to do, I should be expanding my brain and learning new words as I go. It's something I should start doing and as I always carry a small notebook on me I have no excuse! Thanks for the push :)

The picture is of both cats sleeping on MY chair which has quickly become THEIR chair damnit! My husband calls it the "cat nest" and I am in the process of trying to reclaim it... The larger all black cat at the front is the lovely Merlin and the smaller one with white paws is the pretty Morgaine. She is currently on heat and is being particularly noisy. Hopefully we can get our friend to bring his boy cat over and let them go on a cat date...

11 comments:

BooksPlease said...

Lovely cats and such good names.

I like to know what a word means so I have to find out one way or another.

Maree said...

Love your cats, and I love the way you put photos of them up ever week _ I may have to steal that idea. I have a Merlin, too, but he's a grey tabby named for the very distinct "M" between his eyes.
I don't usually look words up. Somehow meanings show up for me sooner or later. :)

jlshall said...

I liked your answer, but I liked the adorable cats even more! They look like they're made of velvet.

Nymeth said...

lol, good luck with reclaiming the chair from the cats!

Chris said...

Aw, they're so cute!

Melody said...

They're soooo adorable! I hope you'll reclaim your chair soon, hehe.

mariel said...

I prefer to look up words that I don't know. If I'm reading while out and about, I'll jot the word down in my notebook, along with the page number so I can look up the word later and understand the context in which it was written. If I'm home, I'll usually read to the end of the paragraph or another good place to end, then look the word up. I have a really good english dictionary and thesaurus at home. Reading Jonathan Strange at Christmas involved a lot of new words being learnt! But that can only be a good thing.

I'm currently thinking of starting a new notebook for new words and their meanings etc..(you know me and notebooks!)..as sometimes I get so engrossed back in the bookthat I forget them!

Aw how cute are they snuggled together! But where is merlin's usual pool of drool?

Literary Feline said...

That photo makes me want to take a nap too!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who turns to her significant other now and then when coming across an unfamiliar word.

Kim L said...

Cute cats! I am right there with you. I never look up words unless I absolutely have to. Blah.

gautami tripathy said...

I love your cats! And their names!

Here is my BTT post!

Jeane said...

Let them go on a cat date... do you want kittens? I really like their names. I knew someone once who had a cat named Gandalf, wouldn't that be a good pair with Merlyn?