Thursday, April 03, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Lit-Ra-Chur

When somebody mentions “literature,” what’s the first thing you think of? (Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare?)
Do you read “literature” (however you define it) for pleasure? Or is it something that you read only when you must?

I do read what I class as literature. I tag some of my books "literary fiction" on library thing which is usually authors like Tolstoy, Dickens, Margaret Atwood, Hemingway, George Orwell, Sylvia Plath, Dostoevsky, Franz Kafka, Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. I do read them for pleasure now, but only really in the last year or two. I started doing my own challenge of reading at least 50 of the Guardian 100 Greatest Books of All Time and it has a lot of literary fiction books in it. I was a little wary of a few of the more daunting looking tomes (yes tomes, some are pretty hefty books!), but have enjoyed all on the challenge list so far. I have found they are not so dry and dated as I expected. I suppose there is a good reason they are classics!

This week is a photo of Morgaine balancing on the bannistairs. She is a nimble little monster!

6 comments:

Andi said...

I've overcome an aversion to classics for fun in the last year or so. I had to read them all along for school, but now I don't mind tackling one at the drop of a hat just for a good read.

pussreboots said...

I read literature for fun. I haven't been reading off any lists lately. Happy BTT.

Trish said...

I've been really bad about reading "classics" this year, but last year I read a number and was surprised at how many I enjoyed! I'm curious about your list...is it on your blog somewhere?

Alice Teh said...

I've started on a few authors such as Jane Austen and Mary Shelley. I hope to start on other classics soon. Top of mind: Les Miserables and Crime and Punishment.

Have a good weekend!

Bellezza said...

I am rarely disappointed in a classic, even if it is somewhat heavy duty. There's always a lot of meat in the authors you mentioned which is why I'm never as satisfied with a Nora Roberts type of author.

Dewey said...

Aw, I love Morgaine! This question has been perplexing me all week, since everyone is equating literature with classics or literature with what they were forced to read in school (same thing, surely?) and I think literature is stuff people write down for us to read: magazines, newspapers, instruction sheets, pamphlets evangelists hand us in airports and on campuses, books of every sort, Superman comics, the back of the cereal box.