Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Book Buying - I Caved!


Well it didn't last too long, but I caved today on a one off book buying binge. My reasoning is I was going to go out for dinner to celebrate my new job but didn't get around to it. Instead I spent the money I would have spent on dinner on books which to be honest will last a lot longer than a meal out anyway!


The books I got were:
The Bromeliad - Terry Pratchett (I have really old copies and thought it was time to get new ones that aren't falling apart so I got all three in one. Damn you Nymeth!)
The Gypsy Crown - Kate Forsyth
Triskellion - Will Peterson
Set in Stone - Lida Newbery (won the Costa prize for children's fiction)
Angel - Cliff McNich
Betwixt - Tara Bray Smith (loved the title)
The Gift - Alison Croggon (blame Mariel)
The Riddle - Alison Croggon
The Crow - Alison Croggon
Cravings - Laurell K Hamilton
Every Which Way But Dead - Kim Harrison
The Good, The Bad and The Undead - Kim Harrison

Most of the authors are new to me and only Alison Croggon were recommendations. The rest were random picks from the teenage fiction section for the most part that looked interesting. I just need to find time to fit them in amongst my many challenge books now...

13 comments:

Darla D said...

What an excellent stack of books! I can't wait to hear your reviews of them. And I love your reasoning - they will last longer than a meal, and you can also read them again and again, which (if you're lucky) you can't do with a meal. :-D

Chris said...

Well you deserve them all!! Isn't that the best feeling :) It's exciting buying books that you don't know much about...hope you enjoy them!

Nymeth said...

Hey, it's not my fault that that edition of The Bromeliad is so irresistibly awesome :P

I haven't read any of those - I hope they all turn out to be good!

Like Darla said, I love your reasoning, and like Chris said, you deserved to celebrate!

Melody said...

I absolutely agree that books last longer than a meal!!! And what a stack you have there!

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews on them. Happy reading!

Kim L said...

I haven't read any of those, but they all sound interesting. I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed at the moment by my challenge books. Must... find... time... for more reading..

Ladytink_534 said...

Cravings is an anthology isn't it? I seem to remember reading it a while back (before I started my blogs) and loving it. Hope you enjoy all your wonderful new books!

Stephanie said...

Holy Hell...that's a stack of books!! Looks like you got some real winners there too!!

mariel said...

Yay you bought the pellinor series! You'll have to read them before I get home so we can talk all about them!

I'm quite jealous actually. I want to go on a book binge. We're in port but there's only one shop and not a single book in sight. :(

Much better than a meal! Who needs food anyway?

Table Talk said...

The Croggon books are superb. The last in the series 'The Singing' is due out in August.

Nyssaneala said...

I went on a book buying binge recently after looking at a barnes and noble bargain sale!

Andi said...

Sounds perfectly logical to me!!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one that caves in a big way. :)

Susan said...

I just caved too.....it must be spring, all that heady warm air is making our bookish hearts beat fast and the adrenaline rush makes us think we can read more, more, more! Anyway, I like your reasoning (books last longer than a meal out), and please tell us about Kim Harrison who I still haven't read anything by...don't know anyone else on the list, which makes it interesting, and if table talk recommends something, it's usually worth looking at...darn it, I just got back from the bookstore! My husband will give me such dark looks if he sees me adding to my buy list already!!!

Rhinoa said...

Thanks everyone for helping my justify my addiction :)

Ladytink - Yes Cravings is an anthology.